TREBBY: Holograms I want to speak at my graduation

As I was strolling around the Internet this week, I saw Tupac Shakur performing in front of a packed crowd.

While I immediately recognized it wasn’t actually Tupac, I was still extremely intrigued. It was a hologram, and apparently it isn’t the last one, as the Notorious B.I.G. is next on the list.

If Tupac can be “brought ” back to life, imagine the possibilities.

This year’s commencement speaker at graduation is Hank Aaron, possibly the best baseball player of all-time. Aaron is an excellent choice, especially for those who are from Milwaukee (or possibly from Atlanta) and are big Brewers (or Braves) fans.

As a junior, I have no doubt that Marquette will surely get another amazing speaker for next year’s graduation, but with this new hologram technology, I thought I’d throw a few names into the hat.

So, here are my top five choices for holograms I would love to hear give the commencement speech at my graduation.

5. Reggie White: A recommendation by fellow Tribune writer Mark Strotman, Reggie White would be inspirational.

Truly a man of faith, White was a Christian minister and also one of the best pass-rushers in the history of football. He spoke in front of the Wisconsin State Assembly and was one of the most well-rounded men ever to play in the NFL. His speech could be controversial, but it would be one I would love to hear.

4. Howard Cosell: This one is not just for me as a broadcaster as Cosell’s life was filled with many life-altering events. He started out practicing law in Manhattan before becoming one of the most recognizable voices in the history of sport.

Cosell was on the call for many of the most famous events in sports history. Whether it was “Down goes Frazier!” during George Foreman and Joe Frazier’s classic bout in 1973, or his difficult announcement of John Lennon’s death during Monday Night Football in 1980, Cosell both saw and did it all in the field I wish to one day pursue.

3. George Steinbrenner: “The Boss” was one of the most interesting characters the world has ever seen. He went from being a graduate assistant under Woody Hayes at Ohio State to being the most famous and well-known owner in the history of baseball.

After making his money in the shipping industry, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees and made them into the one of the most successful sports franchise in the world. Steinbrenner would definitely make his speech one to remember.

2. Dick Schaap: There are few people that have experienced what this man did. Schaap became a columnist for the weekly local newspaper in his hometown of Freeport, N.Y. at the age of 14, and he went on to write books with football legends like Jerry Kramer and Joe Namath and cover some of the most famous athletes and events in sports history.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Schaap, as I remember watching him on ESPN a few days after September 11, 2001. He talked about the role of sport in times of tragedy and was a figure of calmness at a time when the 10-year-old me was still trying to understand what actually took place. Schaap’s incredible experiences would make for an amazing speech.

1. Al McGuire: Who did you think it would be? I don’t even feel like I need to explain myself. It should be Al McGuire because it should be Al McGuire.

[email protected]