Archdiocese looks for increase in charitable donations

The Archdiocese of Milwaukee launched its yearly Catholic Stewardship Appeal, “In His Name,” over the weekend of Feb. 27 to help raise money to support ministries throughout the archdiocese, a campaign that is all the more critical in the wake of their recently announced bankruptcy.

The annual fundraising campaign works toward helping four key areas of ministry: family, parishes, schools and clergy training, according to the Milwaukee Archdiocese’s website. This year’s fundraising goal is $7.65 million.

Rob Bohlmann, Catholic Stewardship Appeal director, said in an e-mail the fundraising campaign runs on a calendar year, usually starting around January or February and concluding on Dec. 31.

Bohlmann said it is important to continue with the appeal even through the bankruptcy process.

“The Appeal touches more than 633,000 Catholics in 208 parishes throughout the Archdiocese,” he said. “In many cases, Appeal-funded ministries have no other source of support, and their reach extends well beyond what any individual parish or school could provide on their own.”

Archbishop Jerome Listecki, in a message on the archdiocese’s website, said 2011 will be a “pivotal year” for the appeal in light of the bankruptcy.

“For those of us who love the church, now is a very good time to publicly demonstrate our belief in the church’s fundamental goodness and our confidence in (the church’s) future,” Listecki said. “Your support of the appeal ensures that, ‘In His Name,’ the mission of the church will continue to change lives and bring people closer to Christ.”

In order to reach its goal, the archdiocese is encouraging all parishes to show an appeal video with Listecki, as well as promoting the effort in other ways listed on the archdiocese website, Bohlmann said.

He said the church raises money by mailing solicitations in February, April and September to 230,000 Catholic households throughout the Milwaukee Archdiocese.

Last year, the archdiocese fell $900,000 short of its $7.65 million goal, according to the Catholic Herald.

Bohlmann said the economy played a large part in the appeal not reaching its goal last year. Donors told them they were unable to make a gift or had to lessen their donation because of their financial situation.

“Our hope is that people will resume their previous level of support as their financial situation improves,” he said. “We hope, too, that the faithful will see the importance of the ministries supported by the appeal and feel confident their gifts will be used in the manner for which they intended.”

One of the many ministries the appeal helps to fund is Catholic Charities of Milwaukee, a social justice and service organization. The money helps to fund its adult care ministries, family and children ministries and social justice ministries, according to the archdiocese website.

Jim Brennan, the executive director of Catholic Charities, said the appeal is very important and they look forward to its success every year. TW2

“The Catholic Stewardship aAppeal allows us to provide services to vulnerable and low income people, adults services, services to families and children, and a variety of outreach services to the special needs type population,” he said.

Brennan said last year Catholic Charities received approximately $1.2 million from the Catholic Stewardship Appeal.

“It is one way of supporting our mission of service to the poor and vulnerable,” he said.