Sideshow

Usually, I’m not one to defend somebody who’s tasting sour grapes. “You lost, get over it,” is my attitude.

But I can get on board with Toronto Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan and his disappointment stemming from his slam dunk contest loss over the weekend.

In case you missed it, Los Angeles Clippers dunk machine Blake Griffin won the event — and if you believe in NBA conspiracies, you’d say it went off exactly as scripted — after dunking over the car.

It sounds impressive, I know, but the car wasn’t even moving like in that commercial Kobe did. He didn’t even jump over the highest part of the car, just the hood. And, for some reason, there was a church choir singing R. Kelly during the whole thing.

Long story short, Griffin took a basic dunk and dressed it up. Lipstick on a pig, if you will.

Sadly, presenting that as the “winning dunk” trivialized the rest of the contest. DeRozan said he’ll boycott future dunk contests if props like the car aren’t outlawed. It’d be too bad, because he made this year’s contest one of the best in years in terms of pure dunking and athleticism.

For his opening dunk, DeRozan caught a bounce pass off the basket stanchion, put the ball through his legs in mid-air and flushed it home.

Oklahoma City forward Serge Ibaka took off from farther out than Jordan or Dr. J on their famous free-throw line dunks.

In the final round, Washington Wizard’s center JaVale McGee threw down a reverse dunk where he had to contort his body like a halftime performer to avoid crushing his skull on the bottom of the backboard. Even Griffin’s first dunk, an explosive 450-degree spin and double-clutch, was better than his finale.

Overall, it was a great show. It’s unfortunate that it jumped the shark — or car — before it ended.