Tampa Tab- Major Goolsby’s Reviewed

Major Goolsby’s:

Atmosphere: 5/5

Game Availability: 5/5

Amenities: 4/5

Food: 4/5

Price: $

This is the second in a series of weekly reviews by Tampa native Trey Killian. He will be visiting a different bar each week to give an outsider’s perspective on Milwaukee sports bars.

Nestled across from the U.S. Cellular Arena at 340 W. Kilbourn Ave., Major Goolsby’s Inc. has become a favorite spot for Milwaukee sports fanatics over the years. The bar came in at No. 4 on Sports Illustrated’s list of “The Best Sports Bars in America” in 2005 and to find out why, you must simply visit Goolsby’s on a Sunday afternoon.

To some passersby it can be hard to discern whether or not the bar is open due to its dimly lit windows. The building itself has a fairly run-down look and appears deceptively small.

But those who venture inside are greeted with a lively game-day atmosphere that is difficult to top.

The main viewing room contains about 30 tables with stool seating and televisions lining the walls and above the long stretch of bar.

Customers can observe a diverse assortment of fans from all corners of the country, from aficionados of the Miami Dolphins to the Seattle Seahawks. Patrons are invited to sit wherever they like, allowing for easy access to whatever game they have come to see.

“It’s a lot of fun to be immersed in an atmosphere with so many different fans,” said Reggie Anderson, a Marquette Law grad and a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan. “It’s loud, but there’s not a lot of negative banter between opposing teams.”

Patrons need not be diehards either.

“The best thing about Goolsby’s is that every fan can come here to watch their team,” said Nicole Halle, Anderson’s girlfriend. “There’s so much going on that it’s a fun experience, even for a non-football fan.”

The menu features a selection of reasonably priced bar favorites such as wings, burgers and cheese curds, with a few unique twists. As an appetizer, customers can order six “State Fair Brat Shots” for $3.00. These consist of a small cup of sauerkraut with a slice of brat on top.

“The most exciting thing is having a large variety of fans here,” said assistant manager Marty Petricca. “It seems like every minute someone is cheering for their team.”

The warm, cozy feel, intermittent bursts of cheering, and the colorful sight of a wide variety of jerseys and memorabilia hanging from the walls surround the consumer in a veritable feast for the senses.

While the place has a bit of a grungy feel and the food may not make the menu of a five-star restaurant, Goolsby’s is a classic sports bar where true fans can follow each and every pulse-pounding play.