Sports Sideshow

Offensive linemen for the Indianapolis Colts are preparing for the Jacksonville Jaguars this week, but they should really be concerned about the game two weeks from now when the Kansas City Chiefs come to town.

The reason isn’t Kansas City’s 3-0 record. It’s because of defensive end Shaun Smith, but not because of his playing ability. Let’s just say there’s a different kind of sack at stake when going up against him.

In the second week of the season, Cleveland center Alex Mack accused Smith of grabbing him in a sensitive location. Use your imagination, Marquette.

Later on in the game, seeking retribution for Smith’s breach of the man code, Mack delivered a late hit, which pushed the Browns backward 15 yards on a drive that ended with a missed field goal.

As expected, Smith denied the accusation like Rafael Palmeiro on Capitol Hill.

This past Sunday against San Francisco, though, television cameras caught Smith in the act. The Cleveland win was all the positive reinforcement Smith needed to try the strategy a second time.

Tackle Anthony Davis didn’t take kindly to the grab, punching Smith in the back as the two fell to the ground during the play in question.

This all tells me one of two things about Shaun Smith: He either doesn’t care what opponents might do to him when the video of him taking Davis by the cajones makes the rounds in NFL locker rooms, or he’s not smart enough to know that kind of thing is frowned upon by the general male public.

Either way, somebody’s going to have to take a stand against Smith in Kansas City’s next game. I’m sure the Colts’ backup offensive linemen will be getting plenty of practice at finishing blocks after the whistle over the next two weeks.