Jake Thomas to stay at Marquette for senior year

Photo by Vale Cardenas/ valeria.cardenas@mu.edu

Redshirt junior guard Jake Thomas has chosen to stay at Marquette for his final year of NCAA eligibility, according to a Marquette Athletics press release. Thomas was granted his release from the university earlier this month.

Thomas said he thought about the situation at Marquette and decided to change his initial decision, which marked the beginning of a two-week span in which three other players left Marquette.

“After thinking it over and talking with my family about the situation, along with the help of Buzz, I have decided to finish my career at Marquette,” Thomas said. “It has been a great two years and I am looking forward to what the future holds.”

Thomas, who played in 23 games last season, averaged 1.8 points per game. With the loss of Vander Blue to the NBA draft and Juan Anderson and Jamal Ferguson to transfer, Thomas could compete for more playing time next year. Thomas will continue to receive a student-athlete scholarship.

Coach Buzz Williams said he is thrilled to have Thomas back on the squad for next season.

“We are excited Jake has decided to return for his last year of eligibility,” Williams said. “Our conversations leading up to his release and throughout the last few weeks have been very transparent. He has always been welcome in our program and represents everything that our program is built on.”