Hitting the Slopes on a Budget

Get ready to bust out your ski gear. With the recent snow fall in Milwaukee there is finally time to enjoy your favorite winter hobby with a couple of friends. Wisconsin has a large number of ski and snowboarding hills within close proximity to Marquette, which makes hitting the slopes a fun and cheap alternative to your weekend routine.

Where to go:

Granite Peak is one of Wisconsin’s largest resorts with over 74 runs, 65 acres of tree-skiing, and 5 terrain parks. This resort’s spring season starts March 11, which means you can score some major deals during spring break. You can either buy tickets online or at the resort. Online lift tickers are $106 for two days with rentals costing $64. However, make sure to budget for gas because Granite Peak is three hours from campus.

Devil’s Head resort has a series of packages that include lodging, meals, and tickets. There is a Chicagoland Express package that is geared for a late arrival on Friday and includes a stay for 2 nights and 3 days. It would cost $293 during peak season and $220 during post/preseason. Devil’s Head resort is located about two and half hours from campus.

The Grand Geneva Ski Resort is only an hour away from campus. It is considered one of the smaller resorts, but that makes it perfect for a weekend getaway. It gives you the chance to master every difficulty level (if you’re up for the challenge). Lift ticket prices vary depending on the time. 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. costs $47, and 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. costs $37.

How to Prepare:

First things first, make sure you have a headcount of the number of people going and verify the date with everyone in your group. This makes step two much easier, which is to book rooms at the resort. If you’re looking to save some money, get a room with two beds and pack six people in it. Next you want to pack and make sure you have everything you need for your weekend getaway (hats, gloves, equipment, goggles, clothes). Finally, if you’re driving, make sure the gas tank is filled up the night before so you don’t have to worry about it in the morning. Oh, and most importantly, be sure to call ahead and make sure they still have snow to ski on.

What to Avoid:

The number one thing to look out for is rip-offs. We’re college students, so it is important to get the best deal. Make sure to do your research and find a resort within your budget. Some resorts may have student discounts so make sure to bring your Marquette ID just incase.

Another way to save money is to avoid any and all food found at the ski lodge. Most of the food is deep fried and extremely over priced. If you’re going with a group ask everyone to contribute five dollars, and head to target the night before to pick up some protein-rich granola bars, plastic water bottles, and a few ingredients for sandwiches you can keep in the car.