Jet lag sucks

I’m sitting in my new flat right now (complete with Christmas tree-colored sheets), listening to one of my guy roommates, who has dragon tattoos on both forearms, play “Strawberry Fields” and contemplating my past two days in Canterbury. It’s been a whirlwind. A blast with a ton of jet lag blown in. Here are some of the things I’ve learned so far in my stay across the pond:

1. You have to break your arm to flush the toilets. Well, sort of. I’m used to the gurgling, automatic, everything-gone-in-a-flash toilets in America, and here it’s different. I think the water pressure isn’t as strong. But you literally have to bang your whole arm on the flusher and hold it. I learned this after I called Parkwood Registry, our apartment headquarters, and frantically requested a plumber.

2. Some new lingo: what things are “dodgy,” how to “bunk” a train (get on without paying), “wankers” (idiot boyfriend is the gist I got while in the stall listening to a drunk girl), “bangers” (can mean fireworks or sausage), and a few other things I can’t pronounce. I’ve learned to smile and nod or say “whot?” I did this with our taxi driver Liam, who talked non-stop on our hour and a half long drive from London to Canterbury, and had, coincidentally, bad teeth. He kept talking about all the “rubbage” on campus which I later figured out meant rabbits.

3. Don’t tip the bartenders. Good ol’ Rick Steves taught me that one. Not like I tip them in America either, but now I know.

4. Scrumpy Jacks. This is London’s famous hard cider, which tastes like apple juice with a kick and, again according to locals on “Rick Steves: London,” makes people go wild. Hasn’t happened yet – knock on wood. It’s pretty good though.

5. Study your coins. Thank goodness for the English language, so I can tell what is one pound and what’s two pence. I keep whipping out quarters at the bar and then apologetically asking the bartender to help.

6. Jet lag sucks. I’ve never traveled out of the country except to Canada (but who hasn’t), and I always thought people who complained about jet lag were wimps. Nope. At 12 p.m. yesterday (6 a.m. CST) I was ready to curl up on a public bus seat. And you’re not supposed to take naps. Boo.

7. Talk to everyone. You never know where anyone is from, what they’re doing here, etc. I’ve met two great people from Hong Kong (apparently “Mamma Mia” is huge there right now), two Italians named Stephano and Paulo who speak little English and tons of U.S.A-ers. Everyone is in the same boat not knowing anyone and most have been very friendly.

8. Enjoy myself. I’ll never have the opportunity again to want to die of sleep-deprivation at noon, listen to my pot-smoking roommate blast the Beatles, and not be able to flush my toilet. But what could be better? I’m in England and get to see the world! And go on a tour of the Canterbury Tales. Yipee! Cheerio for now.