CAMPUS OBSESSION: Meal Exchange

A bagel and tea. A cheeseburger and fries. A chicken Caesar salad. Half a sub and half a salad. These are just some of the options offered in Marquette’s new meal exchange program.

In exchange for a meal swipe, students can purchase food outside of the residence hall dining halls, regardless of their meal plan. An added plus is that students are able to either sit down with their food or take it to go. One of the more popular locations for the meal exchange program is Marquette Place in the Alumni Memorial Union, where students can dine at Ultimate Baja, Fresh Sushi, Fresh Greens, Grill 155, New York City Subs, Natural Smart Market and Einstein Bros. Bagels.

Tony DiZinno, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said he is a frequent visitor to Marquette Place.

“It’s a nice change of pace,” he said.

Kate O’Donnell, a freshman in the College of Nursing, said her favorite part of the meal exchange program is being able to get Caesar salads from Fresh Greens.

“Normally a salad would cost around $7, but if I go during the meal exchange time slot I am able to get what I wouldn’t be able to get at a residence hall cafeteria,” she said.

Other options for the meal exchange program are at the five Brew Cafés located throughout campus, where a variety of bakery and deli items are available. Many students choose this location in the morning, as they can quickly get a muffin and a coffee with one swipe of their MarquetteCard.

Whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner, Marquette Place or the Brew, sit down or take out, the meal exchange option offered by Marquette’s Dining Services is, without a doubt, a crowd pleaser.