Scarves on Steroids

The scarf: one of the most timeless and versatile of all wardrobe accessories. Throughout the century, we have seen scarves worn by both men and women for the sake of fashion and to weather the harsher seasons. This piece has endured decades of style trends, adapting to the ever changing demands of consumers of the fashion industry. Scarves have come in a wide array of forms, from the most delicate of silks to the most durable of wools in every color, pattern, and length one could imagine, each serving a specific purpose and fad.

Throughout the 1950s to the 1970s, American icons such as actresses Natalie Wood and Candice Bergen, who are depicted below, demonstrate one of the most classic and feminine scarf styles. Both women feature a light, silky neck scarf, which, tied daintily around their necks, adds a bit of flair to their ensemble.

Photo taken from fanpop.com/spots/classic-movies/images/9373799/title/natalie-wood-photo
Photo taken from stylelist.com/2012/03/15/candice-bergen-style_n_1348428.html

More recently, scarves seem to have taken quite an opposite turn. In exchange for the more delicate and modest women’s styles of earlier decades, scarves have transformed into what look to me like gigantic choking hazards. This past year, I witnessed an exponential growth in the number of Marquette students donning the oh-so-trendy circle scarf in various forms and colors. All of which seemed to be bigger and bulkier than the next. The scarf, it appears, has moved from minor accessory to full-fledged clothing status, seeing as it clearly requires just as much, if not more fabric than a pair of pants. In my opinion, these neck-engulfing monster scarves can, in fact, be quite a life-saver in the merciless Milwaukee winters. As I am sure we will be seeing less and less of these as the weather warms up (as I cross my fingers for no more snow), it should be interesting to see how this circle scarf trend is adapted into spring and summer fashion.

Photo taken from marshallmatlock.com/tag/marilyn-monroe/page/6/

Photo taken from lookbook.nu/look/2624563-Colours-of-Autumn

Photo taken from lookbook.nu/look/2566615-SOMEDAY-YOU-WILL-BE-LOVED

Perhaps this movement reflects our current culture of excess and extravagance. Maybe its unisex quality and deviation from traditional feminine characteristics make it a small reflection of our strides toward gender equality. Maybe it’s just another fleeting fashion trend. Either way, I would love to read your comments and hear what you think of the monster scarf trend. Catch you later, trendy people.