Hold the Salt, Please.

Living in Milwaukee, we take quite a beating during the long winter season. From the frigid wind to the piling snow, it’s that time of the year to bundle up in sweaters, winter jackets and tightly wound scarves to escape the relentless weather. One trend sported by almost every Marquette student is the salty boot epidemic. Thankfully, there are a few simple (and cheap) methods to clean and prevent those seemingly unavoidable salty stains so that your winter boots can last until next year.

Image taken from foxhoundstudio.com

To get rid of those ugly white stains, you can either use a lemon and water solution or a vinegar (1 part) and water (2 parts) solution. With whichever you choose, use a clean cloth dipped in the solution and wipe away the salty areas of your boots. Immediately after, use another clean cloth to dry the boots.

Once your boots have completely dried (about 30 minutes or so), snag some shoe polish and a rag. Using the rag to apply the polish, rub it on the leather in circular motions, being careful not to get any on the soles in case they are a different color.

Now to protect your boots for the long run. From what I have read, it seems that beeswax sealing treatments are the best of the best for leather. Apparently, polish, silicone, and fat treatments tend to wear off quickly and do some funky stuff to your kicks. Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing is an idea for a quick salt prevention at only $7.30 per jar:

Image taken from backpackinglight.com

For all you Uggaholics out there, Ugg makes a care kit just for its sheepskin boots. Make sure to coat your Uggs in the protection solution before wearing them out on the salty streets.

courtesy: Amazon.com

Guys, have a formal event to go to and don’t want to ruin your dress shoes? Throw on some rubber galoshes.

courtesy: ecouterre.com

• S

sojiNov 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

whaoo>>i love this.

• J

Julieta AdhamMar 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Even though something doesn’t do what you planned it to perform does not mean it’s useless.
    Eventually, invariably winners are the types who think they are able to.