Animal House

Introducing Marquette’s  favorite campus critters.

Best smile

Photos by: AJ Trela, A. Martina Ibanez-Baldor and Elise Krivit

Pet: Severus Snake

Owners: Dan, Mike, Matt & Dan

Favorite snack: Live mice

Severus had quite the journey to his photo shoot. Despite the fact he lives with eight roommates, not one of them wanted to actually hold him. So after about 20 minutes of going back and forth deciding who was going to take him out of his cage, only one had the guts to reach in and do it. (“I kept on freaking myself out,” Matt says, who worked up the courage to let Severus hang out on his hat). In the end, Severus — for the most part -— played nice with his roommates. But maybe that was because Severus was already pretty full. Only a few days earlier he had just finished his favorite dinner: a live mouse.

Best legs

Pet: Gladys

Owner: Anna

Favorite snack: Hay & Cheerios

When Anna inherited Gladys the bunny as a hand-me-down, she didn’t realize it would cost her — three phone chargers, in fact. “She loves chewing on cords,” Anna says. While Anna’s roommates and Gladys got off to the rough start, Gladys now seems to get along with everyone. Maybe a little too well. “Whenever we leave her (Anna’s roommate) door open, she (Gladys) runs straight into her room and won’t leave,” Anna says.

Biggest drama queen

Pet: Ciara

Owner: Eilish

Favorite snack: Pounce cat treats

Ciara is an atypical cat. One of her favorite activities? Taking showers. Ciara will sit in the bathroom and paw at the shower curtain until she is allowed to play in the water. And when Ciara is locked outside of the bathroom, she will meow nonstop according to Eilish, her owner. Eilish also admits Ciara has a few other bad habits, like gnawing at fingers: “It’s an ongoing behavioral issue we have been working on,” Eilish says.

Most likely to hitch a ride

Pet: Roscoe

Owners: Matt & Matt

Favorite snack: Anything in sight

Rescued from the Wisconsin Humane Society, Roscoe now spends his time sleeping on the couch watching SVU with his nine roommates. “There will always be someone to watch TV with him,” owner Matt says. The bloodhound, greyhound mix has another favorite activity: going on car rides. Roscoe will take any chance he gets to hop into an open car door, even if he doesn’t know the driver!

Biggest couch potato 

Pet: Little Foot

Owner: Jill

Favorite snack: Mealworms

Jill named her gecko “Little Foot” even before she bought it two years ago. Little did she know, the name would be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Little Foot, quite literally, has a little foot. “Since I bought her, she has lost all her toes on one foot,” Jill says, “so that foot is smaller than the other.” In her free time, Little Foot likes to sleep — especially on Jill’s stomach. “Pretty much all she does is sleep,” Jill says.

Best eyes

Pet: Seamus

Owner: Jill

Favorite snack: Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Three things make Seamus an unusual pet.  First, his size. Seamus is a dwarf hamster, which means he isn’t much larger than the average mouse. Second, his coloring. He is albino, which explains the white skin, fur and red eyes. “Yeah,” Dana says, “those are a little creepy.”  Third, Seamus is nocturnal, and at night, “she goes crazy,” Dana says.  “All night she just runs around her cage, jumping from her water bottle, to her wheel to everywhere else.”

Best fur

Pets: Mahogany Daniels & Peter Francis Geraci

Owner : Julian

Favorite snack: Lay’s Potato Chips

Chinchillas happen to have the softest of all animal fur, but this also makes them very sensitive to temperature. If it’s too cold, Mahogany Daniels and Peter Francis Geraci’s owner, Julian, says they complain all night (chinchillas make a noise that is somewhere between a bark and a chirp). But other than that, Julian says they are pretty easy to take care of — unless they escape their cage.“ They have really sharp teeth, so (once) they ran around the house and chewed up everything,” Julian says.

Most playful

Pet: Charlie

Owner: Valerie & Emily

Favorite snack: Peanut butter

It’s an excuse you never thought you could get away with: “my dog ate my homework.” But it’s one Valerie had to use when Charlie, an English Springer Spaniel, did just that. Valerie and Emily bought Charlie in August. Since then, the two say she has been quite the handful. “She used to not be able to be alone without freaking out and crying,” Valerie says. Their solution? Puppy sitters. “We used to have to find people to take shifts and watch her while we were at class.”

Most likely to go green

Pet: Erwin

Owner: Kaitlyn

Favorite snack: Mango

Erwin the tortoise eats like a king. Every time his owner Kaitlyn gets a salad at the Alumni Memorial Union’s Fresh Greens salad bar, Erwin also gets one. “The lady at the salad place knows Erwin’s name and order,” Kaitlyn says, who got Erwin a year ago when she and her roommates needed something to help them “de-stress.” Little did Kaitlyn know, Erwin gets stressed sometimes, too. “He bobs his head up and down when there is too much going on in the apartment!” she says.