Holiday Gift Guide

Picking out a gift can be harder than finals. Let us help. 

Photo illustration by: Dylan Huebner

For the trendsetter – For friends with a little wilder sense of fashion, check out SpiritHoods. These hat/scarf/mitten amalgamations give you the appearance of a wild animal like a wolf, panda, leopard or bear. And yes, they also make them for men. Try a Snow Leopard SpiritHood for $69

.  

The cheap economical gift – Let’s be real — college students can’t always purchase lavish gifts. So why not give your friends and family a personalized, DIY present? These travel mugs are perfect. After all, what college student can live without a decent travel mug? Starbucks offers a “Create-Your-Own” Collage Tumbler for $10.95.

For when you have no idea – Gift cards are the traditional go-to gift for those fickle friends, but try something fresh this year. Edible Arrangements offer a variety of fruit bouquets including Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Apples & Bananas for only $25!

For the sports fan – It’s a great year to be a Wisconsin sports fan. Use this opportunity to surprise your friends and family with tickets to games. Or try giving them team memorabilia or decorations like fathead posters and bobble heads.  Try a Clay Matthews fathead for $99.99.

For dad – The cheesy holiday tie is always a viable option, but upgrading his technology is a more beneficial gift for him and the family. We recommend these Koss Noise-Cancelling Headphones for $59.99. These noise-cancelling, high-definition headphones deliver superior sound quality and are perfect for dad to tune out your pesky siblings. Cheaper options could include a digital picture frame or a subscription to Netflix.

For mom – Try giving her gifts to alleviate stress, like a nice bath robe, slippers or a spa certificate. According to The Shepherd Express, voters named Neroli Salon & Spa the “Best Day Spa” for the last three years. A deep tissue, 50 minute massage is $85.

For her – Instead of buying cheap department store jewelry, try something more creative. No girl will turn down a spa certificate or her favorite perfume. But you could also try the latest trend in stuffed animals: Squishables. These large, rotund plush animals are super soft and adorable. However, what sets Squishables apart from your typical cotton-stuffed critter is the unconventional selection ranging from manatees to Kiwis! Depending on size, prices range from $8.99-$42.

For him – It’s important to remember one thing: keep it simple. Instead of a handmade decoupage frame or matching monogrammed T-shirts, try getting him a trendy wallet, cologne, a season of his favorite show or tickets to a concert.  It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and bro-centric Entourage are always a hit among dudes, and at $13 each for the most recent seasons, they’re sure to keep both him and your wallet happy.

The impractical gift – Know someone with an unhealthy obsession with Jersey Shore’s Snooki? Chances are they will probably be fist-pumping over her latest line of footwear, appropriately named “Snooki Slippers” ($24.99). These eccentric slippers embody Snooki’s over-the-top style and resemble gaudy sneakers. Leopard and zebra print boots and platypus are just a few of the zany styles.

For the book worm – Think books are lame? Think again. Check out Urban Outfitter’s collection of humorous, visually-stimulating and sometimes risqué book options. Cheaper alternatives can be found at Half-Price Books. Also, don’t forget to pick up a copy of one of this year’s best-selling biographies, Steve Jobs, by Walter Isaacson for just $17.99.

For the lil’ sib –Feather your nest this season with the university’s cool Golden Eagle apparel. Since the winter months are upon us, purchasing winter attire such as scarves, hats and mittens will keep your family warm and stylish in blue and gold, of course. $14.95