Milwaukee music festival proves it’s easy being green

courtesy Swanzun

Rampant littering and various other forms of pollution are synonymous with outdoor concerts, but Rock the Green music festival will attempt to defy that phenomenon this weekend by converging a rock show with environmental initiatives.

Aiming for near-zero waste, Rock the Green will use holistic, innovative production practices to reduce the music festival’s footprint while spreading environmental awareness, according to the Rock the Green website.

With the help of headlining acts The Fray and Ben Folds, all proceeds will go toward making a lasting impact on the Milwaukee community through its beneficiaries, the Urban Ecology Center and the Park People – Friends of Milwaukee County Parks.

One of the most substantial techniques the festival will implement on behalf of the environment is producing enough electricity for six concerts and assorted booths via solar, wind and bio-diesel-powered generators.

Rock the Green is one of the latest music festivals in recent years to join the movement to “go green” after recent investigative reports revealed condemning statistics regarding the negative impact concerts yield on the environment. Last year’s Lollapalooza music festival produced 177 tons of waste, but only diverted 25 percent from Chicago-area landfills, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Since then, more deliberate efforts have been made by music festivals to reduce negative environmental effects. In June, the annual Bonnaroo Music and Art Festival encouraged recycling, but only diverted 65 percent of its total 490 tons of waste from area landfills.

To eliminate the Solo cup cemeteries and general morasses of garbage that crop up in the aftermath of music festivals, Rock the Green made an even more conscious commitment.

“Everything on-site that is provided by Rock the Green,” from plates to banners to lanyard credentials, “is compostable and or recyclable and will be diverted from landfills,” said Lisa Wright, Rock the Green volunteer.

Rock the Green will also dispense free, collapsible, BPA-free water bottles upon entry that may be filled at freshwater stations around the festival grounds that measure the amount of plastic cups spared as a result of the bottles.

“We hope that Rock the Green becomes a model for other concerts,” said Wright. “Other concerts do these things, but there are other things we’re doing for the first time.”

For example, a unique color-coded labeling and “Single Stream Recycling” system will provide concert-goers with a single bin to place their recyclables, which will later be separated automatically using a novel form of sorting machinery at a materials recovery facility.

In addition to the practical application of environmentally conscious safeguards, Rock the Green will feature educational experiences with interactive areas scattered around the festival.

Divided thematically into earth, wind, fire and water, each interactive area contains tents corresponding to eco-friendly topics regarding their designated element. Stations in the “Water” category will discuss issues like water sustainability and efficiency, while those in “Fire” will expound on solar and battery-powered clean energy.

Those seeking out deep-fried Twinkies and other artery-clogging delectables won’t find them at Rock the Green; instead, Milwaukee restaurants and vendors will offer locally grown, sustainable and or organic alternatives. All viable leftovers will be converted to nourish the park grounds.

“MMSD large, commercial-grade food processors will grind up and turn food into fertilizer, which will later come back and fertilize the soil at Veteran’s [Park],” said Wright.

In addition to environmentally savvy headliners The Fray and Ben Folds, acts Fitz and the Tantrums, Michelle Branch, Parachute and local name Evan Christian will form the concert lineup.

“I think it’s a combo of what bands people like to listen to and what they’re doing about sustainability in their own lives,” said Wright. “Michelle Branch is a great example of that. She does her own farming and she raises animals on her property. Each of the bands has a commitment to sustainability, so we’re fortunate that they all have new music coming out and they all have [sustainability] in common.”

Patrick Maag, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said although he is looking forward to the Rock the Green lineup, it was not the only reason he bought tickets.

“I like supporting events and causes that can have a long term effect and hopefully change the way people think about the way they live,” said Maag. “Plus, the show should be pretty rockin’.”