STOP. Just Do It

Hey Health Nutters—

I think it’s safe to say that this past weekend and week was a whole batch of crazy. Between midterms, fall break, weather changes, seasonal allergies and lets face it, everything else, I for one could barely keep my feet on the ground. It felt like all of my responsibilities were swirling overhead like a tornado, and I could hardly see straight. Days passed in a blur and looking back, I couldn’t tell you what I did. It was like living on autopilot–when your body goes through the motions, but you’re mentally not all there.

Have you ever felt like this?

So what to do when our world is like a whirl wind? The answer is simple: STOP. Seriously, just do it. If that means imagining a stop sign, putting your pencil down, turning off Facebook, walking more slowly or simply starring at a wall for five minutes, just stop.

I’ve come to the realization that life is precious and so is our time at Marquette University. How will you feel if you look back after graduation and can only remember cramming, feeling stressed and resenting your work load? Yes, being busy is a good thing, and so is learning time management. But, there is a reason God commanded no work on the Sabbath day–because our bodies, minds and spirits need a break.

If you want to give 110%, consider it a testament to your work ethic to reserve time to stop, reflect, and recollect once a week or even once a day. This way, you can perform to your fullest potential, without burning out.

Some days, our race may feel like an uphill battle. But it doesn’t have to be a lost cause. Try and commit to ample rest and satisfactory reflection time for the rest of the semester, and see how a little more stop and a lot less go will better prepare you for the long run.

For post ideas or inquiries about blogging for the Marquette Journal, email me at [email protected]