Bears. BEATS. Battlestar Galactica. – February 21, 2013

real world

We’re staring with an iTunes free download today called I Cry for Love by Carrie Rodriguez. Rodriguez sings about her strengths, but also about how she cries for love in the song, which is a bit reminiscent of the character of Katniss in the Hunger Games, so what better song to follow it up with than a song from “The Hunger Games: Songs From District 12 And Beyond.” Lover is Childlike by The Low Anthem is a wonderful song that again juxtaposes strength and child-like feelings. The song to follow this one is one that has a child (and a mannequin) represent a lover in its music video. Kimbra‘s Settle Down is a song about a love gone wrong, which seems to be a theme for her, as she’s featured on Gotye‘s Somebody That I Used to Know. While we’re on the topic of not knowing someone, we’ll ask the question: could you Spit on a Stranger? Apparently, Chris Thile of Nickel Creek could. Strangers are actually a popular topic in songs, so we’ll listen to one more song about the topic: Stranger by Katie Costello.

What’s the opposite of being a stranger to someone? Knowing them well. Lotus Child knows a girl named Kate well, according to the song of the same name. Freelance Whales has a great song with a female name as the title and that song happens to be called Hannah. (Additional little connection: Hannah and Kate are the names of two of my best childhood friends.)