Meladies wish senior members farewell

Photo by Josh Meitz

The Meladies held their spring showcase April 9

The Meladies, an all-female a cappella group, put on their performance of “Changes: The Meladies Spring Concert” in the Varsity Theatre April 9. This was not only a time to showcase the musical arrangements they’d practiced, but to celebrate and send off their four graduating seniors.

One person from the Meladies presented each senior with a bouquet of flowers and give a speech about that senior before they performed their “senior song.”

Amy Morgan, senior in the College of Nursing, was the first senior soloist to perform. Her song was “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac. Alejandra Rivera, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, spoke about Morgan.

Rivera said that Morgan is one of the kindest people that she has ever met. She also said that Rivera makes sure that she checks in with everyone in the group.

“She has been a strong presence ever since spring 2019, and she has dedicated a great deal of time to this group working on rehearsal, occasions, reservations, constant things and issues with the banks. Amy always made sure to make time for this group,” Rivera said.

Rivera also said that Morgan will be missed and everything she has done for the group does not go unnoticed.

Maggie McMahon, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is the current vice president of the Meladies. McMahon spoke about Maggie Muglia, a senior in the College of Health Sciences. Muglia’s song was “Set Fire to the Rumor,” a mash-up of “Set Fire to the Rain” and “Rumor Has It” by Adele.

McMahon said that Muglia is willing to help everyone by sending voice recordings of parts, giving tips for vocal percussion and sending encouraging texts. McMahon said that Muglia’s talent cultivated the sound of Meladies over the last four years.

“Maggie [Muglia] is one of the best human beings I’ve ever met, something I’m sure all the mels past and current can attest to choose.  She’s incredibly dedicated, hardworking and passionate about the Mels, her schooling, her friends and her family,” McMahon said.

Molly Buzzelli, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and current president of the Meladies, spoke about Kamila Cwanek, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. Cwanek’s song was “Many the Miles” by Sara Bareilles.

Buzzelli said that Cwanek is caring, supportive and compassionate. She said that Cwanek motivates and inspires the group whenever they feel discouraged and has dedicated herself to the Meladies since she became president her first year at Marquette.

“When I joined the Mels last year, Kamila went out of her way to make me feel welcome and at home in the group right from the start. From early on in my time in the Mels Kamila started to call me her mini-me, which is honestly the best compliment,” Buzzelli said.

Michaela Brooke, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, is the music director of Meladies. Brooke spoke about Christine Jin, a senior in the College of Health Sciences. Jin’s song was “Remedy” by Adele.

Brooke said that she looks up to Jin as a role model and she admires her intelligence, creativity and compassion. Jin gives her all to every song and every rehearsal, Brooke said.

“Christine is truly the life of the party. She lights up every room that she enters. She is constantly making us laugh and her energy is contagious, making every rehearsal we get together the most fun in the whole world,” Brooke said.

Brooke said that Meladies are more than music, they are dedicated to being a support system to one another.

Juliana Suarez, a first-year in the College of Arts & Sciences, is the visual director of the Meladies. Suarez said that the Meladies are very close and welcoming. She said that it was very special to give the seniors the recognition they deserve.

“These seniors are the strongest women I’ve ever met. They’re fearless, so talented and dedicated to our group. So, being able to give them this huge sendoff was great. We’re just really grateful to have them and we’re going to miss them a lot,” Brooke said.

The spring concert concluded with the song “Changes” by Cam, a standing ovation and lots of tears. Although the outgoing seniors will be missed, Brooke, Buzzelli and McMahon said that they are loved.

This story was written by Hannah Hernandez. She can be reached at hannah.hernandez@marquette.edu