No. 13 Marquette suffers first loss of season

Lukas+Sunesson+%289%29+takes+a+slide+tackle+in+Marquettes+2-1+win+over+Kansas+City+Sept.+3.+
Photo by Isabel Bonebrake
Lukas Sunesson (9) takes a slide tackle in Marquette’s 2-1 win over Kansas City Sept. 3.

No. 13 Marquette men’s soccer traveled to Tulsa, Oklahoma to take on the Golden Hurricane on Monday night and came away with a 1-0 loss for their first defeat of the new season.

It was the Golden Eagles’ first road game of the season after going 3-0 at Valley Fields to start out the 2021 season.

At halftime, the score was nil nil after both teams struggled to find opportunities in the first half.

Tulsa outshot Marquette 7-2 in the half.

Marquette’s second half would not be much different.

Following the second half’s hydration break, the Golden Hurricanes broke the silence.

In the 73rd minute, following a pass from graduate student forward Ben Barkley teammate Rooks Hunter crossed the ball into the box. Then sophomore forward Malik Henry-Scott hit the pass from four-yards out to put it past Marquette redshirt junior goalkeeper Chandler Hallwood.

Tulsa outnumbered Marquette virtually in every category, including outshooting the Golden Eagles 17-8 on the night. In addition, the Golden Hurricanes had the advantage for shots on goal 9-3.

Hallwood finished with six saves on the night, with five of those coming in the first half, while giving up just the lone goal.

Redshirt first-year defender Jonathan Robinson and redshirt-junior midfielder Zak Wegner finished with a tied team-high two shots for MU.

First-year goalkeeper Alex Lopez had three saves on the night for Tulsa and helped his team to their third consecutive clean sheet.

Next up for the Golden Eagles (3-1) is a matchup with the Northern Illinois Huskies on the road in DeKalb, Illnois on Friday night. That contest will start at 7 p.m. and can be seen on NIU All-Access.

This article was written by Matt Yeazel. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @MJYeazel.