BREAKING: Women’s soccer marks third Marquette team to quarantine

Photo by Katerina Pourliakas
Women’s soccer players huddle in Marquette’s 1-1 double overtime tie Oct. 6, 2019 at Valley Fields.

Five days after the mandatory quarantine for both basketball programs Oct. 21, Marquette Athletics announced that the women’s soccer team is taking a pause from training for the next 14 days after one positive COVID-19 test within the program.

This marks the third athletic team in less than a week that will be quarantined.

“We will take a pause from training over the next two weeks in accordance with CDC guidelines as we continue to put the health and safety of our student-athletes at the forefront,” women’s soccer head coach Frank Pelaez said. “We are confident that we are doing what is in the best interests of all involved and look forward to a strong finish to the fall semester.”

In accordance with NCAA guidelines, the athletics department conducted surveillance testing Oct. 23 of 102 student-athletes and “inner bubble” personnel and it resulted in one positive COVID-19 test. “Inner bubble” personnel includes anyone in close contact with the student-athletes.

Following the Oct. 23 testing, contract tracing was conducted and now members of the women’s soccer program will quarantine for 14 days in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Since Aug. 28, Marquette Athletics has had nine positive results out of 911 tests, which is a 00.9% positivity rate.

This story is developing. 

This story was written by Zoe Comerford. She can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @zoe_comerford.