Hauser becomes 50th player to reach 1,000 career points

Men’s basketball junior forward Sam Hauser became the 50th player in program history to score at least 1,000 points after scoring 13 points Saturday against Seton Hall.

With his first free throw of the game at 3:40 remaining, the Stevens Point, Wisconsin, native scored his 1,000th point. In 84 games played, Hauser has 1,003 points and sits on the team’s all-time leading scorers list behind Lloyd Walton, who played on the 1973-’76 team and scored 1,006 points.

The 6-foot-8 forward finished the day the day with 4-for-9 shooting from the field and 4-for-4 shooting from the free-throw line, but he only had one 3-pointer. But that lone three gave him 198 career 3-pointers, surpassing Brian Wardle for ninth in all-time program history for threes made.

“I’m not going to look too much into it,” Hauser said. “It’s in the past now. So (I) just have to keep going.”

Coming into Saturday afternoon’s matchup against Seton Hall, Hauser had 990 total points.

“People told me I was close. They didn’t tell me how close,” Hauser said. “I didn’t even know I got it during the game. … It’s just a cool accomplishment to have.”

Though Hauser didn’t have his highest scoring game, it was enough to propel him to reach the 1,000-point feat. Hauser’s four free throws came in the final four minutes of the game, which helped the Golden Eagles sneak away with a 70-66 victory over the Pirates to remain undefeated at Fiserv Forum.

“(Hauser) only thinks about one thing, and that’s winning,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “That attitude since the day he’s stepped on campus has made our program leaps and bounds better.”

Hauser joins fellow junior guard Markus Howard as the two active players on Marquette’s roster with at least 1,000 career points. Howard has 1,543 career points after leading all scorers Saturday with 26 points, and he now sits at 16th all-time in program history.

“Those two kids have really been the pillars of our program,” Wojciechowski said. “But you couldn’t hope for two more high-character kids than Markus and Sam.”