Indiana’s scoring prowess, perimeter defense befuddle No. 24 Marquette

No. 24 Marquette’s first matchup as a ranked opponent since 2013 did not go according to plan, falling 96-73 to the Indiana Hoosiers in the Golden Eagles’ biggest test of 2018-’19.

Indiana dominated the game almost immediately. Four Marquette turnovers gave Indiana a 10-point lead in the first five minutes. The Golden Eagles could not cut that lead to less than eight points for the rest of the game.

Marquette’s offensive production was anemic for large stretches of the first half, at one point going more than five minutes without a field goal.

Indiana limited Marquette’s opportunities from the perimeter, holding the Golden Eagles to five 3-pointers. Sam Hauser was the only Marquette player to hit multiple 3-point shots but did so on 2-for-10 shooting from long range.

Sam Hauser, Joey Hauser and Markus Howard led the Golden Eagles with 18 points each.

Marquette had no answer for Indiana freshman Romeo Langford and graduate transfer Evan Fitzner, who combined to score 38 points Wednesday night. The duo had more first-half points than every Golden Eagle combined except Sam Hauser.

Five Hoosiers finished in double figures. Indiana shot 64 percent from the field and 45 percent from 3-point range.

Indiana had a 50-32 advantage in paint scoring and an 18-8 advantage in assists. It was a stark contrast from Marquette’s first two games, in which the Golden Eagles had a combined 32-16 advantage in assists.

Marquette is now 2-8 all-time against the Hoosiers and 0-4 at Assembly Hall.

The Golden Eagles (2-1) look to bounce back from their first loss Saturday against the Presbyterian College Blue Hose. Marquette has never lost to the Blue Hose in their three all-time matchups.