Bipartisan watch party held in Johnston Hall J-Pad

Faculty members from across Marquette’s colleges held a midterm election watch party Tuesday night in the Johnston Hall J-Pad room.

Amber Wichowksy, associate professor of political science, said various faculty members, including Joseph Daniels, chair of the economics department; Phillip Rocco, assistant professor of political science; and Paul Nolette, associate professor of political science, organized the watch party. 

Wichowsky added that the event was co-sponsored by the Les Aspin Center for Government.

The watch party is an interdisciplinary event,” Wichowsky said. “We have students here that are majoring in communication, economics, history and political science.”

Wichowsky said there were students across the political spectrum at the watch party. She said the watch party gave students the ability to talk with one another and to see how the media covers elections.

Hannah Bright, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences who attended the event, said she voted because she thought there was a lot at stake in the election.

“There are a lot of issues that I care deeply about, like gun control, healthcare, education and the environment,” Bright said. 

Bright said it was her first time at a watch party on campus.

“I wanted to be in a bipartisan environment,” Bright said. “It’s also exciting to see young people excited about elections.”

Anslem Ike, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he came to the watch party because he wanted to see if his vote paid off in the election. 

“I’m tired of Scott Walker,” Ike said. “I want to see more Democrats.”

Wichowsky said the watch party remained in the J-Pad until students decided they wanted to leave.