Marquette notches third consecutive win in sweep of Georgetown

Just over 20 hours after they defeated the Villanova Wildcats in four sets, Marquette women’s volleyball took down the Georgetown Hoyas in straight sets (25-14, 26-24, 25-10) Saturday.

The Golden Eagles had firm control over the first set, never trailing in the set and winning the frame 25-14. The two teams had 22 combined errors in the first set alone.

In the second, Marquette hopped out to an early 7-1 lead, but the Hoyas stormed back. After a 5-2 Georgetown run trimmed Marquette’s lead to 19-17, head coach Ryan Theis called his first timeout of the match to regroup.

Georgetown called its second timeout after Marquette went up 21-18. Following that, the Hoyas tied the score at 21-21, causing Theis to use his final timeout of the frame. The teams traded scores, tying the score at 22-22, 23-23 and 24-24 before taking the set 26-24.

After two frames, sophomore Hope Werch led the squad with seven kills. Junior Allie Barber and freshman Ellie Koontz each contributed five kills.

Junior Lauren Speckman was already in double-digits with 11 assists, and sophomore libero Martha Konovodoff had 13 digs at that point.

The third set was the first time where the Golden Eagles trailed in the matchup, but they quickly regained their footing and won the set 25-10.

Barber and Werch led the way for Marquette with 13 kills each. Barber hit a combined 0.522 in the match, while Werch hit 0.423. Ellie Koontz added 8 kills of her own, along with a clip of 0.429.

Lauren Speckman put up a match-high 19 assists for the Golden Eagles. Martha Konovodoff contributed a match-high 18 digs.

For the Hoyas (14-12, 7-7 BIG EAST), senior Alyssa Sinnette led with 12 kills, setter Margo Pivonka put up 16 assists and libero Kenzie Higareda added 15 digs to the box score.

Marquette will take on Butler Friday in Indianapolis at 5 p.m. Central time.