MU receives two national innovation awards

Marquette University earned two national awards for innovation at the University Economic Development Association’s annual summit, which took place Oct. 21-24 in Milwaukee, according to a news brief released Monday.

Marquette’s Explorer Challenge, an annual competition that invites students, faculty and staff to submit proposals for up to $25,000 in seed money for innovative projects that make an impact, received the 2018 Award of Excellence for Developing Innovation.

Beyond Boundaries, Marquette’s Strategic Plan, won the Journal of Economic Development in Higher Education 2018 Editors’ Choice Award in the innovation category.

One of University President Michael Lovell’s first initiatives was the Explorer Challenge when he came Marquette in 2014.

“These awards are one of many indications that we’re now building that culture together,” Lovell said in the release. “It makes me so proud to see our students, faculty and staff come together to explore innovative approaches to any number of challenges and opportunities that exist all around us.”

Jeanne Hossenlopp, vice president for research and innovation, said the Explorer Challenge is one of many ways the university is promoting a campus-wide culture of innovation.

“(The culture) is fueled by entrepreneurial thinking cross-campus participation, interdisciplinary collaboration and external partnerships,” Hossenlopp said in the release.

The fourth annual Ideas Fest will be hosted Oct. 31 in the 707 building 3-4:30 p.m. as part of the Explorer Challenge, allowing members of the Marquette community to meet with collaborators and learn about the application process for research funding.