Women’s lacrosse defends the dome, remains undefeated at home

Marquette broke the school record for goals in a game in its 23-15 victory over Niagara.

Photo by Isaiah Gencuski

Photo by Isaiah Gencuski

Photo by Isaiah Gencuski

Marquette set a program record for goals in its 23-15 win over Niagara on Saturday at Valley Fields. The win gives the Golden Eagles a perfect 4-0 home record at the Valley Fields Dome and a 4-3 record on the year.

Not only did the Golden Eagles win, they broke the program record for goals in a game for the second time this season. Senior midfielder Charlotte McGuire dominated the Purple Eagles, scoring six goals.

“This is huge,” head coach Meredith Black said. “We had an opportunity at Notre Dame and we didn’t quite pull it off. So, to come back and fight back for this win and win this game is going to be good and hopefully boost our confidence going into Northwestern.”

Niagara got on the board first with a free position goal from junior midfielder Alexis Morales. The Golden Eagles would answer right back with two free position goals of their own: one from McGuire and another from senior attacker Riley Hill to make it 2-1. Hill had four goals on the day to run her season total to 14.

After a back-and-forth battle that featured 15 goals in just over 18 minutes, including three of Niagara’s Rachel MacCheyne’s six goals, Black switched out starting goalkeeper Julianna Horning for freshman Sophia Leva.

“We needed a different look in there. Sophia is a lefty, so we thought maybe that would just change things up a little bit versus a righty,” Black said.

Following the goaltender change, Marquette went on a 4-0 run with two goals from sophomore attack Megan Menzuber and one goal each from Hill and junior attack Kate Soccodato.

MacCheyne answered back for the Purple Eagles with three more goals before halftime, but Hill rebutted with back-to-back goals with under 30 seconds left, putting the Golden Eagles up 16-10.

Early on in the second half, McGuire and senior Grace Gabriel added two for the Golden Eagles.

“People in practice always yell ‘finish’ when we are all shooting and doing different drills,” McGuire said. “I kind of thought that in the back of my head, like my teammates yelling ‘finish’ and they were talking to me out there.”

Niagara’s Alyssa Sproule and Shea Swartwout scored two goals at the end of the game, but both happened long after the result had already been decided. Leva had eight saves in 41 minutes, making it her first career victory.

Gabriel, Menzuber, McGuire, Hill and junior Lindsey Willcocks all earned hat tricks.

The Golden Eagles will hit the road to take on No. 8 Northwestern on Saturday in Evanston, Illinois.