Late run not enough for women’s lacrosse against No. 17 Notre Dame

Photo by Jordan Johnson

Marquette (3-3) entered its matchup Wednesday against No. 17 Notre Dame 0-26 in program history against ranked opponents. By the end of a 15-10 loss, that record was extended to 0-27.

Notre Dame (4-2) dominated right away, jumping out to a 4-0 lead in the first nine minutes of the first half. Much of that early domination came from Fighting Irish freshman Andie Aldave scored the team’s first two goals and finished the day with a game-high five goals.

Marquette senior Allison Lane cut that lead to 4-1 with an unassisted goal at the 19:03 mark in the first half, but Notre Dame countered with another Aldave goal 16 seconds later.

Marquette could not cut Notre Dame’s lead under three goals throughout the night, although the Golden Eagles did start the second half on a 7-3 run to cut the lead to 13-10. However, Aldave once again netted a well-timed goal with 2:36 left to put the game out of reach.

Lane led Marquette with three goals Wednesday night. Senior Grace Gabriel and junior Cate Soccodato each chipped in two goals.

The five-goal defeat was Marquette’s closest loss to Notre Dame in program history. The loss also snaps a three-game winning streak and moves Marquette’s all-time record to 3-58 when trailing at halftime.

Marquette will return home Saturday to host Niagara at the Valley Fields Dome. The opening draw is slated for 12 p.m. Central time.