Gesu, Marquette to conduct investigation for parking options

Eating disorders largely affect college aged people. Marquette Wire stock photo

The parking dispute between Gesu and Marquette was resolved to include a new surface parking lot, according to a letter posted on the Church of the Gesu’s website. The letter was signed by Rev. Jim Flaherty, head pastor of Gesu, and University President Michael Lovell.

The new surface parking lot that will be constructed west of Lot F, the original lot utilized by Gesu parishioners. The new lot will be available to Gesu parishioners on weekends. Parking in Lot G on the weekends and parking in the law school parking structure on Sundays are also options for parishioners.

“Construction on the new lot will commence this spring, though a firm date has not been set,” university spokesperson Chris Stolarski said in an email.

The construction of the new lot will not impact the construction of the Athletic Human and Performance Research Center. Lot F has been closed for construction as of Feb. 18.

The official groundbreaking ceremony of the AHPRC is set for March 6.

The short-term parking alternatives that Marquette has offered to Gesu parishioners are the same as previously stated, and the shared services agreement between Marquette and Gesu is unchanged.

Marquette and Gesu’s dispute emerged two weeks ago when the Gesu community voiced concerns that they were left out of the decision-making process surrounding the closure of Lot F.

Priests and parishioners were worried that the Lot F closure would negatively affect the church’s mission and that the alternative parking spaces originally offered were not adequate. The two institutions have been communicating since then.

The brief stated that the leadership of the two institutions have agreed to meet regularly to “maintain an open dialogue with respect to important topics that mutually affect Marquette and the parish.”

These topics include a collaborative investigation into more parking options in the area.

The specific details of the investigation have yet to be determined. John O’Brien, the director of operations and administration at Gesu Parish, said there is much to be done before the details are known, and “it will likely take some time.”