Steve Rodecap becomes most decorated tennis coach in program history

Steve Rodecap became the winningest coach in men’s tennis history last Saturday after a 6-1 win over Toledo.

Helfaer Tennis Stadium was filled with excitement last Saturday following the men’s tennis team’s 6-1 win over Toledo. The Golden Eagles remains undefeated at home and head coach Steve Rodecap became the winningest coach in program history with his 204th victory.

With the win on Saturday, Rodecap surpassed Willie Cakans, who led the program from 1979-’93. Rodecap is in his 15th season as head coach of the Golden Eagles and has led Marquette to three straight BIG EAST Championship matches.

“I know Willie well,” Rodecap said. “He’s a tennis icon in the Wisconsin area and is a good friend of mine. He had a lot of really good teams too. We’re very appreciative to (sic) what he did for Marquette.”

Following the match, Rodecap initially did not realize that he had broken the record until someone told him. Even then, he attributes his record to the program’s strength coaches, trainers and academic tutors who have assisted his players and affected this program throughout his career.

“To say that you do that is special on one hand, and it makes you think about all the people who have played for you,” Rodecap said. “I think it’s one of those moments where you reflect a lot and kind of reminisce about all the people who have played here and put a lot of work in (the program).”

When Rodecap came to Marquette, he never thought he would be here for 15 seasons. The reason he decided to coach at Marquette was the high-quality players in the program.

“I feel like I’m one of the luckiest employees ever at Marquette because I’ve never once come to work feeling like I have a job,” Rodecap said. “It’s just a lifestyle, and these kids are an extension of our family.”

The comfort Rodecap has felt from the support of the authorities here is more important to him than any win or loss. He never expected that he would live in Milwaukee, but says he wouldn’t want to have it any other way.

“Marquette attracts some really special people,” Rodecap said. “The community here is a really cool place to live and raise a family. It’s been very good to us, and I look forward to many more years of it.”