Volleyball splits weekend road series against Villanova, Georgetown

Marquette volleyball’s eight-game win streak came to an end Saturday night when the Golden Eagles fell 3-2 (22-25, 25-15, 20-25, 9-15) to Villanova, but Marquette returned to its winning ways Sunday with a 3-0 (25-17, 25-12, 25-16) sweep of Georgetown.

Allie Barber finished the weekend with an astonishing 40 kills. She was also extremely efficient, hitting .373 against Villanova and .406 versus Georgetown.

Overall, Marquette hit well against Georgetown, finishing the match with a .411 hitting percentage, but it was a different story against Villanova, as the Golden Eagles hit just .242.

In both matches, Lauren Speckman was also a force offensively. She dished out 57 assists against Villanova and tallied another 40 assists against Georgetown.

Against Villanova, Marquette started out slow dropping the first set 25-22. The Golden Eagles picked it up in the second set. After going down 8-4 to start the set, Marquette rallied for a 9-3 run to go up 13-11. The Golden Eagles defense would carry them for the rest of the set, as the Wildcats would score just four more points, allowing Marquette to take the set 25-15. After splitting the next two sets, Villanova held Marquette to just a .050 hitting percentage in the fifth set took the set 15-9.

Sunday, versus Georgetown, Marquette took the first set 25-17. Marquette continued its momentum in the second set by hitting .478 and easily took the set 25-12. Marquette hung on and won the third set 25-16.

Marquette is now 7-1 in BIG EAST play. The Golden Eagles will be back at the Al McGuire Center next weekend to take on Xavier and Butler.