Students create new Amnesty International chapter, aim to provide education on world’s injustices

Haider Shabi, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, founded the Marquette chapter of Amnesty International.  He said he believes the only way to prevent injustices in the world from occurring is to be well-educated about the issues first.

Haider Shabi, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, founded the Marquette chapter of Amnesty International. He said he believes the only way to prevent injustices in the world from occurring is to be well-educated about the issues first.

Photo by Matthew Serafin

Photo by Matthew Serafin

Haider Shabi, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he believes the only way to prevent injustices in the world from occurring is to first be well-educated about the issues. Shabi’s beliefs led him to start a new Amnesty International chapter at Marquette that seeks to do just that.

Amnesty International is a global movement of individuals vying for human rights no matter the situation or person. Amnesty International is the largest grassroots organization in the world, according to the amnestyus.org website.

“I opened this chapter up at Marquette because I was surprised we did not have one. I’ve been involved with Amnesty since high school,” Shabi said. “Seeing as it is my senior year, I am trying to get a structure in place.”

Yuvraj Sandhu, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is also passionate about Amnesty International’s message and goals.

“It reminds us that every disaster, crisis or epidemic is not just an abstract threat but a current and very really danger to those individuals who are living out that reality,” Sandhu said.

Sandhu is a member of the organization’s executive board, and is working closely with Shabi to set up meetings and events on campus.

Sandhu said Amnesty International’s mission aligns with many of Marquette’s values. Citing the “Cura Personalis” mentality, which puts an emphasis on care of the individual, Sandhu said the new Amnesty chapter will seek to go beyond Marquette’s borders.

“It puts to practice the principles we are taught at our university,” Sandhu said.

Timothy Maga is a political science professor at Marquette and said he believes the new chapter will involve students in important humanitarian issues. He added that the new chapter is a good fit for the university. 

It surprised Maga that an Amnesty International Chapter did not existed at Marquette until now.

“Its mission is people power-driven, humanitarian-driven, globally-driven, and divorced from partisan bickering,” Maga said. “That type of mission is consistent with the Jesuit mission specifically, and concepts of Catholic charity generally.”

“I would encourage any and all Marquette students who are willing to learn about human atrocities around the world to join,” Shabi said. “Together we can educate the greater Marquette student body as well as aid in the efforts of trying to address some of these issues to the best of our abilities.”

The chapter is still in the beginning phases and will host its first chapter meeting on Oct. 11 from 4-5 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union room 313.

The chapter’s first campaign will focus on the recent ethnic cleansing in Myanmar against the Rohingya people.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students create new Amnesty International chapter, aim to provide education on world’s injustices”

1. Kate on October 11th, 2017 7:38 pm

“Amnesty International has become a world leader in pushing for legalized abortion and gay marriage, establishing themselves as an opponent of the Catholic Church.” (LifeSiteNews) So here, yet again, MU is disgracing its Catholic identity.

• Students create new Amnesty International chapter, aim to provide education on world’s injustices

Students gather to commemorate Hurricane Maria anniversary

Near West Side area receives $1.3M HUD grant

Students learn to register to vote with Milwaukee organizations

New Law School poll shows Evers, Baldwin leading

17 years later, Marquette community remembers Sept. 11

Student expelled after spring semester photo controversy

Wisconsin Supreme Court rules in McAdams’ favor, remands case back to Circuit Court to award damages

New numbers released from Marquette Law School Poll

Fight against gun violence continues after March for Our Lives

Jane Doe legal team to file motion to compel documents