Volleyball sweeps Southern Miss, ends non-con play 6-5

Photo by Helen Dudley

Marquette volleyball concluded its weekend with a 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) sweep over Southern Mississippi.

For the second match in a row, setter Lauren Speckman tallied over 40 assists, while outside hitters Anna Haak and Allie Barber both recorded double-digit kills.

“[Southern Miss] put their bigger blocker on Allie to try and slow her down and that helped give Anna some nice looks offensively,” Marquette head coach Ryan Theis said. “Allie started kind of slow. It was nice to see her work her way out of it though and get some confidence as the match went on.”

The Golden Eagles were also stellar defensively, holding Southern Miss under .200 for the entirety of the match.

“They are actually a really physical attacking team with some good arms,” Theis said. “I thought we made their middles uncomfortable … we did that against Milwaukee too and I think that was one of our keys to victory too.”

Southern Miss and Marquette exchanged points in the first set, but the Golden Eagles were able to pull ahead and win the set 25-23 after a Southern Miss error and kill from middle blocker Elizabeth Orf.

Marquette took the second set 25-21. In the third set, with the score tied 21-21, Orf landed a kill, then assisted on a block with freshman Hope Werch to make the score 23-21. Southern Miss scored again to make the score 23-22, but the Golden Eagles secured the set and the win when Orf and Werch combined for another block, then Werch landed a final kill.

Marquette starts another tough three match week on Wednesday with its first BIG EAST game of the season at Butler at 6 p.m.