Keep calm and call Keith

Photo by VIcki Clancy

Photo by VIcki Clancy

When the monitor in Johnston Hall’s studio 7 won’t turn on before a show, what do you do? Call the technical services manager, Keith Rocheck. He’s probably ordering dinner at Stubby’s since it’s after hours, but he’ll answer.

When it looks like the footage from your Digital Media 2205 project has disappeared, what do you do? Run down the hall frantically looking for Keith. When you reach his office and he’s not there, ask every student around if they’ve seen him. The answer will be no, so go back to the editing lab and sit patiently. When you hear the jingle of his keys, sprint towards the sound before he sneaks away to fix something else.

When a professor can’t get the projector to work in a classroom, what do they do? Send a student to retrieve Keith. When he arrives on the scene, he’ll have the issue resolved in less than five minutes.

When the stresses of student media are getting to you, what do you do? Stop by Keith’s office and he’ll hear you out. That is, until today.

The Marquette alumnus will now be working across town at Tri-Marq Communications doing corporate audiovisual work after being the technical services manager at Marquette for over five years.

“Keith is someone who embodied ‘Be The Difference,’” Peter Basch, Class of 2015 and former assistant sports director at Marquette University Television, said, “Whether it was late nights with MUTV or attempting an advanced editing technique, I could always count on Keith’s unwavering support no matter how much he had on his plate.”

Faculty, staff and students, especially ones involved in MUTV, always relied on Keith as a resource for technical help. You might have to wait in line, but he’d get to you eventually.

“Keith is Marquette’s very own superhero,” Nina Guzman, Class of 2016 and 2014-15 general manager of MUTV, said. “He comes flying down the second floor on his super scooter to solve all of our problems. The man’s a genius.”

Keith graduated from Marquette in 2008 with a degree in information technology. During his time as an undergrad, he served as a student engineer and an MUTV staff member.

Starting Monday, an absence will be felt on the second floor, especially when tech crises arise. Luckily, Keith is just a phone call away.