MUSG hosts successful self-defense class

Larson Seaver and Phil Pinarski
Photo by Austin Anderson
Students attend a MUSG sponsored self-defense class Feb. 10

A class of 12 students attended a self-defense class hosted by Marquette University Student Government Friday night.

Marquette University Police Department Capt. Ruth Peterson, who has been teaching self-defense classes for seven years, explained the importance of the classes.

“I want to make sure students have resources…that they have information and the skills to cover themselves and look out for each other.”

MUSG sponsored two self-defense classes — one at 8 p.m. and another at 9 p.m. in the Union Sports Annex.

Peterson taught tips on how to react when grabbed from behind, when grabbed by the wrist or even when you fall. Peterson emphasized the importance of protecting the face, the force the heel of a hand can have and for women especially, the power of the knees.

The first class featured a group of all-female students.

Molly Welch, a junior and program board member of MUSG, said, “It’s a unique event because Capt. Ruth is taking time out of her evening just to help us.”

Welch mentioned that she has felt unsafe on campus, but she has also felt unsafe at many other places because “that’s life.”

“It was definitely informative,” Welch said. “I learned a lot of things I never would have thought of.”

Peterson said that while female students are most often the participants, the classes are not limited to girls. She said that classes hosted in residence halls such as Abbottsford and Mashuda Halls consisted of almost all males.

“It’s [the class] for anyone,” Peterson said. “You don’t have to be strong. You don’t have to be tall or agile. The things we teach are things anyone can use.”

Although Peterson was glad to see a good turnout, she explained that low attendances are a good sign. “The only time we see a decent amount of people attending the class is when an incident has happened.”

Peterson hopes that the low attendance rates mean students feel safe on campus.