Overtime win against Butler earns WSOC chance at BIG EAST title

Carrie+Madden+scored+Marquettes+first+goal+in+a+2-0+victory+on+Wednesday.+
Photo by Maggie Bean
Carrie Madden scored Marquette’s first goal in a 2-0 victory on Wednesday.

Markus Roeders couldn’t stop smiling Sunday afternoon. Marquette’s head coach of 21 years earned his 300th career win in dramatic fashion.

“First of all, it’s about the team,” Roeders said. “I’m elated for them to be able to get back into this game. … I’m just really happy for our players. I know people will talk somewhat about a milestone today, but really at the end of the day it’s always been about the players. It will always be about the players.”

There was no shortage of drama at Valley Fields, but Marquette came away with the 2-1 victory against Butler in overtime.

In the last five minutes of regulation, the Golden Eagles hit one cross bar, had a legitimate chance to get a penalty kick and forced a pair of difficult, game-saving blocks from Butler’s freshman keeper Hannah Luedtke.

In the end it was Carrie Madden who secured the three points just 2:58 into overtime. Darian Powell played in the redshirt sophomore who was sure to put it home.

With three minutes left in regulation Madden found herself alone with the goalkeeper, but she blasted it high and with the help of the keeper it flew over the net. When faced with a similar opportunity three minutes into overtime, she made no mistake.

“A chance like that, you’ve got to put it away in a game like this,” Madden said. “But to be able to put it away still, on the second chance, it’s all you can ask for really.”

Darian Powell broke the deadlock in the 49th minute with her fourth goal of the season. After a lengthy possession in and around the Butler box Cali Pyzdrowski popped a ball in behind the Bulldog defense, which Powell ran on to finish with ease.

Butler answered back in the 67th minute with a goal from McKenzie Muchow. Serina Kashimoto put the ball in the box and Muchow redirected it toward goal. Maddy Henry was unable to corral the ball and fell backward into the net.

The Golden Eagles had a number of chances in the first half, firing off six shots – two of which were on goal. Morgan Proffitt rang one off the post and Carrie Madden had a goal called back after an offside call.

“We can push and push, but if you don’t see it on the scoreboard it doesn’t count,” Madden said.

Once again Liz Bartels was a handful for the opposing defense. The senior terrorized Villanova Thursday night and her darting off ball runs and elusiveness with the ball at her feet pushed Butler to the limit Sunday.

Sunday’s win sets up a BIG EAST battle royale Friday night between second place Marquette and first place DePaul (10-5-2, 7-1-0).

“Today was a big game and obviously a big win at the end,” Roeders said.

The winner of Friday’s contest will earn the top seed in the BIG EAST tournament. In the case of a draw DePaul will be the BIG EAST regular season champions and the top seed in the tournament. Marquette could still be overtaken by Georgetown and Providence if it loses.