Men’s cross country finishes seventh, women struggle at Pre-Nationals

The Marquette cross country team had a solid afternoon at the NCAA Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Indiana, as the men’s team placed seventh overall, while the women came in 37th as a team.

On the women’s side in the 6K race, Brittney Feivor led the Golden Eagles as she placed 79th out of nearly 300 runners with a time of 21:26.2. Rounding out the remaining top seven for Marquette was Jennifer Parker, who finished 109th with a time of 21:33.6, Clare McDonald, who finished 214th with a time of 22:44.9, and Meghan Carroll, who finished 216th with a time of 22:25.8. Jessica Parker took 233rd with a time of 22:34.6, Abby Busse took 254th and finished in a time of 23:02.4 and Mary Hanson took 256th and finished with a time of 23:06.3. Redshirt senior Kellie Greenwood sat out the meet due to an illness.

“I was happy with the way the ladies competed today,” Marquette head coach Mike Nelson told gomarquette.com. “They showed grit and toughness in a very difficult environment. We hoped to place higher, but I was proud of the effort they gave. This was a great tune-up as we now enter the championship portion of the season.”

For the men’s team in the 8K race, freshman Daniel Pederson led Marquette and finished in 26th place with a time of 26:29.5, his third-fastest time of the season. Sophomore Brad Eagan took 30th with a time of 25:41.2, his second-fastest time of the year. Junior Alec Miller finished right behind Eagan and got 31st with a time of time of 25.42.2. The remaining Marquette top seven consisted of junior Aric Miller, who took 65th and finished with a time of 26:14.9 and junior Jack Carpenter, who finished in the top seven for the first time this season and took 81st. Freshman Jon Klaiber took 93rd with a time of 26:43.7 and sophomore Ryan Burd finished in 95th with a time of 26:45.4.

“Overall, the men ran well today,” Nelson said. “We beat a few teams that beat us at Louisville a few weeks ago and adding Daniel (Pederson) to the mix was huge. We are moving in the right direction.”

Marquette will race next weekend at the BIG EAST Championships in the Bronx, New York, at Van Cortlandt Park. Last season, the men’s side took fifth, while the women’s side took sixth place.