Top 10 things Marquette freshman should try

There are so many activities in Milwaukee for new and returning Marquette students to get excited about that it’s difficult to narrow them down to just a few. From basketball games to Brewers games, from bowling at the Annex to concerts at the Rave, these are the top 10 exciting things for Marquette students to look forward to this year.

10. Attending Mass at the St. Joan of Arc Chapel

Attend a Mass at the St. Joan of Arc chapel, one of the oldest buildings in the western hemisphere. The building was built in France in 1420, and the chapel was moved to Marquette in the 1960s. Since then, it has become a great place for on-campus worship. Come be a part of history and Marquette tradition by attending a service here.
Services are held at noon Monday–Friday, and at 10 p.m. Monday–Thursday.

9. Third Ward and Lakefront

Located downtown, the Third Ward has many shops, eateries and various activities all in one place.

“Being able to have the lakefront is great,” Natalie Kalinowski, a freshman in the College of Engineering, said. “It’s a good place for running and swimming.”

The Third Ward is easy to get to by bus or other forms of public transportation.

8. Golden Eagle Games

Each year Marquette hosts the Golden Eagle Games, where teams compete in a variety events, such as basketball, futsal, dodgeball and volleyball. Also included are Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and even Wii Bowling. The event will take place Sept. 2–5 and signups are ending soon.

The events kick off with the aMUzing Race on Friday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. in Westowne Square.

7. Clubs

There’s hundreds of student organizations at Marquette, and there’s bound to be at least one that catches your interest. There’s sports clubs, preforming arts clubs, religious clubs and Greek life, to name a few.

“One of the many things that I am excited for this year at Marquette is finding and joining some of the many clubs, so that I can become a part of this community and make new friends,” Matthew Youhn, a freshman in the College of Engineering, said.

If you are interested in joining a club, check out O-Fest on Wednesday, Aug. 31. Every club in the school will have representatives there.

6. The Annex

Located in the heart of the campus, the Annex is for bowling, food, parties and other various activities. Every Wednesday night at 10 p.m., the Annex hosts bingo night, a free event for all Marquette students. The Annex also hosts trivia nights monthly on select Thursdays.

5. Marquette Madness

One of the highlights of the basketball season is Marquette Madness. This event kicks off the basketball season for the men’s and women’s teams. Marquette Madness features a dunk contest and team introductions. It’s the place to be to get the first glimpse of the basketball teams. Those who attend will receive a free poster and T-shirt, free access to a block party nearby and a chance to win prizes like Packers tickets.

Even though it is free, seating is limited. The event occurs Friday, Oct. 9 at the Al McGuire Center.

4. Exploring Milwaukee

Marquette is right in the heart of the city with several restaurants downtown and on campus. Taking just a few steps out of the dorms or apartments opens up a whole city to explore. Some of the restaurants in Milwaukee, such as Sobelmans and the Safe House, are student favorites.

“The city is full of food, culture and activities,” Hannah Hamwi, a freshman in the College of Health Sciences, said. “There’s always something for anyone to do regardless of what you’re interested in.”

3. The Rave

The Rave is the place to be in Milwaukee for live music. Next month alone, talents such as Lil Yatchy, The Chainsmokers, Billy Talent and Tech N9ne are coming through. The Rave also has the Eagles Club, a huge ballroom that features many well-known musicians, such as 2 Chainz, Ed Sheeran and Disturbed, just to name a few. The Rave/Eagles Club is very close by and extremely easy to access.

2. Marquette Sports

Marquette is the proud owner of 14 varsity athletic teams. Cheer on the Golden Eagles, not only basketball but also volleyball, lacrosse, track and cross country, golf and soccer. Beyond varsity sports, there is a multitude of club sports for students to spectate or join.

Basketball games appear to be the most popular sport among students with the men’s basketball team reaching the Final Four just a few short years ago.

“I’m excited for the basketball season,” Richie Ortiz, a freshman in the College of Engineering, said. “You get to meet new people and it will provide a you a good chance to feel like you’re a part of the community.”

1. Homecoming Week

Homecoming returns to Marquette this October. There will be food and performances by Rachel Platten and American Authors.  The event is occurring Oct. 2–9 and tickets go on sale Aug. 30 at noon.