Henry Ellenson declares for 2016 NBA Draft

Photo by Ben Erickson/[email protected]

Marquette men’s basketball forward Henry Ellenson officially announced Tuesday his intent to enter the 2016 NBA Draft.

Ellenson, 19, averaged 17 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 33 games for the Golden Eagles in his freshman season.

In a personal statement through his Instagram and Twitter, Ellenson released the following statement:

“I, officially announce that I will be entering the NBA Draft, and hiring an Agent. This has been my dream ever since I fell in love with the game growing up in Rice Lake. Without the love and support of my Mom, Dad, brothers-Wally and Ellwood, and sister, Ella, this opportunity would not be possible. I want to thank Coach Wojo and the rest of the coaching staff at Marquette for the help they have given me to grow as a player and as a person. I would also like to thank President Dr. Lovell, Athletic Director, Dr. Scholl, Academic Advisors, Adrienne, Katie, and Meryl, Strength Coach Todd, Trainer Yoder, and the office personnel and managers for all their support. In addition, I want to thank my teammates for their trust and friendship we have built over this last year as a brotherhood; I know these bonds will last a lifetime. Furthermore, I would like to thank the fans for their unwavering support for the team throughout the season. Lastly, I will like to thank my entire family for continuing to inspire me to do great things, and letting me know there are no limits to what I can do.”

The Rice Lake native compiled one of the most decorated seasons in Marquette history, winning BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and being named a finalist for the Karl Malone Award and Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award. He was named to the USBWA Freshman All-America Team and the All-BIG EAST First Team, the first Golden Eagle to be named to the conference team since Dominic James in 2005-’06.

NBA pundits project Ellenson to be a potential top-10 pick in June’s draft. He would be the first Golden Eagle taken in the first round since the Chicago Bulls took Jimmy Butler with the 30th overall pick in 2011. He could be the highest selection since Dwyane Wade was taken 5th overall by the Miami Heat in 2003.

Under new NCAA guidelines, student athletes now have until 10 days after the NBA draft combine to remove their name from draft consideration and retain their academic eligibility. With this year’s combine running from May 11-15, Ellenson has until May 25 to make a final decision. It is highly probable he will pursue a professional career.

This chart, updated March 31, the Marquette Wire and Marquette Tribune will follow Ellenson's projections until draft night.
This chart, updated March 31, the Marquette Wire and Marquette Tribune will follow Ellenson’s projections until draft night.