Little Green Cars adopt new mature sound with ‘Ephemera’

Little+Green+Cars+sophomore+album+Ephemera+
Little Green Cars’ sophomore album ‘Ephemera’

The Band: Little Green Cars is a quintet formed in Dublin, Ireland, in 2008. The members met as teenagers while still in school. Lead vocalists Faye O’Rourke and Stevie Appleby have been sharing their original songs with each other since the age of 13. Now in their early 20’s, the band is in a state of constant touring, selling out shows everywhere they go, and playing major music festivals such as SXSW, Lollapalooza, and Coachella.

The Album: Ephemera is Little Green Cars’ second album. Three years following the release of Absolute Zero in 2013, Ephemera is a collection of mostly depressing, yet soulful and relaxing songs. Absolute Zero was highlighted by upbeat indie-pop hits such as “The John Wayne” and “Harper Lee”. Although initially disappointing, the focus on the more smooth, emotionally intense sound is very powerful. The slower song in their previous record were almost entirely overshadowed by their more fast paced songs, which proved to be much more popular. Ephemera focuses on this slower style of song, creating a more cohesive album.

The Sound: The general sound of the album is lighthearted, yet depressing. The sound of each individual song is dependent on the lead vocalist, either Stevie Appleby or Faye O’Rourke. The light and calming sound of Appleby’s vocal style is best exemplified in the first two songs on the album, “Clair de Lune” and the bubbly, folk music styled, “You vs Me”. In contrast to Stevie, Faye’s vocal style is much more intense, and even haunting at times. The power and richness of her voice is quite Florence Welch-esque, and lends itself well to songs like, “Easier Day” and “Good Women Do”. The band’s vocal dichotomy is one of the signature aspects of their success. Another interesting quality of the band’s sound is that each member of the band contributes to the background vocals, leading to a deeper, more complex and interesting listening experience.

Little Green Cars. Photo via: facebook.com/littlegreencars

Is It For Me? Many comparisons are drawn to folk-pop bands such as Mumford and Sons. While this comparison is understandable, more accurate comparisons would be BANFF or Kodaline. Those who appreciate Florence Welch’s vocal sound will enjoy Faye O’Rourke’s intensity and powerful lyrics. Additionally, fans of Half Moon Run will be able to appreciate the variation in style of their songs. Some other bands that are similar include From Indian Lakes, and Villagers.

Final thoughts: Although Ephemera is quite different from Absolute Zero, it is a continuation of the band’s signature sound, and a sign of growth over the past three years. Little Green Cars is still a developing band, and the fact that Ephemera was written on the road is a testament to the sheer talent and extraordinary songwriting abilities of Stevie and Faye. 8.5/10