New student organization spot funding receives positive feedback

MUSG President Zack Wallace and members of the MUSG Senate. Photo by Maryam Tunio /maryam.tunio@marquette.edu

Photo by Maryam Tunio

Photo by Maryam Tunio

Photo by Maryam Tunio

Marquette Student Government and some student organizations approve of the new spot funding process implemented last semester.

Spot funding is a rolling base type of funding that clubs can apply for throughout the semester. It was created for use of small scale, unforeseen events. Following fall 2015, MUSG received 60 bulk funding applications and 30 spot funding applications.

The Marquette Tribune reported that students in the Lean Six Sigma business class first presented the idea of spot funding to MUSG in fall 2014. The amendment for spot funding was passed that December and implemented last fall.

MUSG has $5,000 available for club sports and $5,000 available for non-club sports. Aliya Manjee, MUSG vice president and junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the amount was sufficient for both club and non-club sports during fall 2015.

In the next few weeks, MUSG will evaluate reimbursement rates from spot funding events before any changes are made to the available funding. Manjee said she is optimistic about the future of spot funding.

“I think spot funding will continue to grow in a positive direction,” Manjee said in an email. “It has been a great source of support for organizations, and we try our best to support all organizations that apply.”

Manjee said she is satisfied with the spot funding process so far and MUSG is constantly looking for feedback from student organizations.

“The (Student Organization Funding) committee has worked hard to improve the application, redesign training and be as accessible as possible to those going through the funding process,” Manjee said.

Student organization leaders seem to be pleased with both the bulk and spot funding processes.

Marquette Running Club applied for spot funding after qualifying at the National Intercollegiate Running Club Association Nationals Race. Since they had to qualify, this made it an unforeseen event, making them eligible for spot funding.

Xander Jacobson, president of running club and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he was satisfied with the spot funding process. He said he received the funding in a timely manner and would use it again in the future.

“It sufficiently helped to subsidize the cost,” Jacobson said in an email.

Although spot funding is available, student organization leaders must apply for bulk funding for large-scale, annual events.

Catherine Martin, Dance Inc. treasurer and senior in the College of Engineering, said Dance Inc. utilizes bulk funding for its biannual showcase. Martin reports an overall positive experience with the funding process and said Dance Inc. plans to utilize it in the future.

As of this year, SOF training is a requirement for clubs to receive funding. This semester’s training had a larger turnout than the previous semester with 174 organizations in attendance this semester compared to 135 last semester.

Rebecca Carballo, Managing Editor of the Marquette Tribune

Rebecca is the managing editor of the Marquette Tribune as well as a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in political science. She has interned...