Relay for Life hoping CrowdChange will assist with fundraising

CrowdSource is an easy, accessible app. It even has a Snapchat feature. Photo by Meredith Meyers/meredith.meyers@marquette.edu

Relay For Life at Marquette is now using CrowdChange, a mobile application designed to make philanthropy easier, to collect donations for the American Cancer Society.

Katherine Anderson, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and president of Relay, reached out to Russell Citron, creator of CrowdChange, to inquire about the possibility of Marquette getting involved in the National Championship of Philanthropy.

Anderson said using the app is fairly easy. She said all you have to do is make a donation and then CrowdChange will give you a “CrowdChange Caption. “If you send CrowdChange a Snapchat with that caption, CrowdChange will donate an extra dollar.

“Anybody can do it,” Anderson said. “And it should really help Relay for Life.”

Relay is an overnight fundraiser run by Marquette’s Colleges Against Cancer organization. Anderson said the group focuses on celebrating people who are cancer free, battling cancer or have lost the fight to cancer. She said the fundraising goes to support cancer research, awareness and advocacy for cancer patients.

Marquette is playing in a March Madness bracket-style fundraising competition against 31 ohter philanthropies. Marquette defeated Harvard’s Relay For Life in the second round.

The university’s Relay team will move on to challenge Kennesaw State University and its support of the Bnai Birth Foundation of the United States.

Citron said CrowdChange focuses on making philanthropy more effective and exciting. He said entrepreneurship and philanthropy were always passions for him, and now he found a way to combine them in a creative way.
“We did some work with Relay for Life events during our launch campaign, and we were really impressed,” Citron said in an email. “Their cause is important, and their passion and energy around their events is contagious. Their causes are meaningful, their events are awesome and we want to help where we can.”
Citron said students can now register their general philanthropy fundraisers directly on the CrowdChange app.

Sarah Gorczany, a junior in the College of Nursing and an executive board member of Relay, said she made her donation already and is helping to spread the word about the application.

“Even a small donation makes a difference,” Gorczany said. “We can use all the help we can get.”