McAdams’ future at Marquette rests in Lovell’s hands

John McAdams. Wire stock photo.

Photo by Wire stock photo

John McAdams. Wire stock photo.

A decision report regarding tenured political science professor John McAdam’s status at Marquette University was recently sent to University President Michael Lovell.

A Faculty Hearing Committee previously assembled to generate the report to determine if McAdams should be terminated after his role in a widely-publicized controversy.

Bruce Boyden, associate law professor and chair of the committee, confirmed that the report is finished and under Lovell’s consideration. That information was also announced at a University Academic Senate meeting last week.

Lovell will use the report to decide if McAdams will be terminated or continue working at Marquette. The report is not public due to academic statues, but Boyden said it should be available when Lovell makes his final decision.

Cheryl Maranto, the College of Business Administration’s Department of Management chair and University Academic Senate member, said Lovell didn’t provide a timeline that he’ll follow for making his decision.

“All the timelines in the University Academic Statutes relating to faculty appeals end with the delivery of the report of the Faculty Council to the president,” Maranto said in an email. “So there are no formal deadlines, at least that I’m aware of, for (Lovell’s) decision and response.”

McAdams said last September that if Marquette fires him, he will sue the university.

McAdams said on the Vicki McKenna Show on Newstalk 1310 WIBA. “If (the committee) say(s) Marquette can fire me, it will be easier for Marquette — although not terribly easy, because that would create a huge amount of bad publicity for Marquette and they have essentially been promised a lawsuit from my lawyers.”

The committee met for a week last September and had around 90 days to finish its report. The controversy at hand started in November 2014 when McAdams wrote a post on his blog, “Marquette Warrior,” criticizing the way former teaching assistant Cheryl Abbate handled a disagreement with her student about gay marriage.

In the post, McAdams described the disagreement, which happened in a Theory of Ethics philosophy class. The disagreement occurred when Abbate discussed philosopher John Rawl’s equal liberty principle, which states that every person has an equal right to the most extensive liberties.

“(Abbate) listed some issues on the board, and came to ‘gay rights,'” McAdams said in the post. “She then airily said that ‘everybody agrees on this, and there is no need to discuss it.'”

An unnamed student met with Abbate after class to say he disagreed with her and that he wanted to discuss his views that oppose gay marriage. McAdams said Abbate declined to have that conversation in her class.

McAdams said the unnamed student gave him the incident information. In the time following the post’s publication, many people refuted or falsified parts of it.

The story was picked up by Inside Higher Education and gained national attention. It provoked the Westboro Baptist Church to picket campus in December 2014. Abbate received harassing emails, some which included death threats, and transferred to the University of Colorado-Boulder.

Weeks after the picket, the university suspended McAdams with pay and banned him from campus. A College of Arts & Sciences review of the incident was conducted during his suspension. McAdams then blogged Feb. 4, 2015 about being notified that Marquette began the process to remove him from the university, which led to the committee’s meetings.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “McAdams’ future at Marquette rests in Lovell’s hands”

1. Greg on February 4th, 2016 4:39 pm

One thing to keep in mind if Lovell does the stupid thing and fires McAdams is that this would ultimately end up at the Wisconsin Supreme Court and Marquette would get stomped down badly there.

2. James Reed Allen on February 7th, 2016 9:52 am

The suppression of conflicting views has long been a vehicle employed by elite academics across this country. Forcing young minds not to consider opposing views is clearly a chafe against free speech. But who cares about that! Fortunately, as one who has hired literally hundreds of fresh college graduates, I can tell you it only takes a short time out in the real world to either turn them around and unbrainwash them or to send them packing to flip burgers.

3. Otto Mechanic on February 9th, 2016 7:37 pm

What has this country come to? Do we have any dignity left at all.
    If the school gets rid of this man over this, the schools dignity will go down in flames.
    Stand your ground! Keep this professor and remain proud.
    Otto

• McAdams’ future at Marquette rests in Lovell’s hands

School of Dentistry advances in technology, becomes national leader

Wild admits knowledge of clergy abuse allegations

Study abroad fair adds two programs, students reflect

Plastic straws remain in some dining locations

Committee begins search for next Title IX coordinator

Diversity statistics decrease as Marquette welcomes largest freshmen class

Student expelled after spring semester photo controversy

Look inside: Wild Commons welcomes first students

John James Pauly, Jr., has died at age 69

Biomedical engineering professor earns $1.5 million NIH grant to study vascular alterations in congenital heart disease