Club golf stumbles in first Nationals appearance

Team finished 31st out of 32 teams
Photo courtesy of Logan Larrabee

Marquette’s club golf participated in the National Collegiate Club Golf Association fall 2015 national tournament in San Antonio over the weekend, finishing 31st out of 32 clubs. The club shot rounds of 481 and 446, at TPC San Antonio, for a total score of 927, 207 strokes over par.

The club struggled playing on a difficult course and against tough weather conditions in the first round on Saturday. Senior vice president Zach Woytych and freshman Logan Larrabee cited the tough weather conditions and courses for the elevated scores

“Saturday morning we started and it was like 35 mph winds the whole day so it was really tough playing conditions,” Larrabee said. “We didn’t play as well as we wanted to but the course was really tough, especially with the wind, but it was still a really good experience overall.

“We are used to playing shorter courses and with all of us not playing in over a month, it hurt,” Woytych said. “Both (courses) were extremely challenging with the first day being some of the most difficult conditions most of us had ever played in.”

Both Larrabee and Woytych dispelled the thought that the club members were nervous or anxious in playing at nationals for the first time.

“I don’t think any of the people had nerves, we were just excited to be there and get the experience,” Larrabee said. “We saw some of the other schools, and there were golf academies playing in it. Kids that go to school for golf…going into it we didn’t really think we were going to win so we just wanted to go out there and have a good time.”

Experiencing nationals for the first time was a big step forward for the club and a learning experience that will help them prepare for spring play.

“I think we for sure want to redeem ourselves and get back to Nationals in the spring and get better scores than this time,” Larrabee said. “Just get back there and get a little redemption will definitely be our biggest takeaway.”

“I think we learned that in situations like this past weekend, we need to focus on our game and try to score well,” Woytych said. “I know I was trying to do too much with the ball at multiple points creating problems for myself.”