Schroeder residents not reimbursed by Marquette for flood damage

A Snapchat image of the flooding in the Schroeder Hall stairwell. Wire stock photo.

Schroeder Hall residents who had their property damaged in the flooding Sept. 27 will not be reimbursed by Marquette for any of their damaged items.

Mary Janz, the executive director of housing and residence life, said that this is because the incident was an act of “intentional vandalism to property.”

“Marquette University is not an insurer of property,” Janz said.

In a similar situation last year, a pipe burst in Mashuda Hall during winter break spilling water over all seven floors of Mashuda. In this case, however, the university did reimburse students for their damaged property. Janz said the university decided to reimburse students on that occasion because it was an accident, and was caused by faulty university infrastructure.

Kerrigan Flannery, a sophomore in the College of Education, is a Schroeder resident whose room was damaged by the flood. The water ruined Flannery’s computer charger, phone charger, some pairs of shoes, and the majority of her textbooks and notebooks.

“They didn’t reimburse us for anything. My computer charger is going to cost around $60 to replace,” Flannery said. “I have to buy back all my books; that’s going to put me behind in class.”

Flannery was informed that the university would not reimburse her after her and her mother sent Schroeder Residence Hall director, Ishmael Miller, an email.

“Marquette will not open insurance claims for students,” Miller said in the email. “We will work with you to ensure you’re able to take the next steps in your private insurance claim.”

Nicole Tristano, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, also had property damaged in the flood. She said she was unhappy about not being reimbursed, considering the flooding damaged her North Face backpack which she valued at about $100.

“The school should have definitely reimbursed us. It’s not our fault that it happened,” Tristano said. “If I was not home for the weekend, I would have had more expensive stuff ruined. They didn’t do anything for me.”

About 18 rooms sustained water damage in Schroeder Hall on the morning of the flood. Residents affected were relocated to Cobeen Hall and O’Donnell Hall. Those residents moved back into Schroeder Hall, Oct. 2.