Marquee’s Chillax Playlist

The+university+recently+closed+the+ombuds+office%2C+leaving+faculty+and+staff+with+less+resources.+Marquette+Wire+stock+photo.+
The university recently closed the ombuds office, leaving faculty and staff with less resources. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Classes driving you crazy and need something to help relax? Check out this playlist to relieve stress and get through the week.

1) “Nina” by Ed Sheeran: If you need some soothing vocals to help you relax, look no further than Ed Sheeran. This song off his sophomore album “X” is about his ex-girlfriend, Nina Nesbitt. Sheeran asked for Nesbitt’s permission to write the song. In fact, she even enjoys listening to it. Nesbitt also wrote songs about Sheeran for her album, “Peroxide.” Moral of the story: don’t break up with a musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kh-tATZXE0

2) “Beautiful Day” by U2: The rock band released this track as the lead single off of their 2000 album, “All That You Can’t Leave Behind.” This catchy tune is about losing everything, but maintaining hope despite it all. The song heavily contributed to U2’s success and won three Grammy Awards in 2001 for Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. Music lovers can turn to this single to help tackle any obstacle life throws your way.

3) “Brick By Brick” by Train: This mellow tune is off Train’s 2009 album, “Save Me, San Francisco.” The lyrics discuss rebuilding and becoming “better than before” when life gets tough. Lead singer Patrick Monahan’s smooth vocals are accompanied by a piano and guitar to create a calm, soothing sound.

4) “She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5: “She Will Be Loved” is one of the most recognizable Maroon 5 songs and automatically releases any anxiety. The single came from the group’s debut album, “Songs about Jane.” The music video tells a melancholy love story where a young man, played by Adam Levine, comforts an older woman and makes her feel loved despite the abuse and rejection she receives from her husband.

5)“Let Her Go” by Passenger: This song helped British singer-songwriter Michael David Rosenberg reach international success by topping the charts in numerous countries and selling over 4 million digital copies in the U.S. The lyrics are relatable and describe the regrets behind ending a relationship, with the common moral of “you don’t know what you got ’til its gone.” The acoustic guitar and light vocals give a relaxing vibe when listening to the tune.