Women’s lacrosse slips at Colorado-Boulder

The Marquette women’s lacrosse team dropped its second game of the season Saturday, 13-5 at the hands of Colorado.

The Golden Eagles trailed 5-4 with 4:09 remaining in the first half, thanks to a rip from Julianna Shearer, but a questionable call two minutes later changed the landscape of the game.

With 2:09 left in the half, Preseason Big East Defensive Player of the Year Elizabeth Goslee collided with Colorado’s Molly Rozvar. Rozvar went down hard, but not entirely at the fault of Goslee. Regardless of intent, Goslee was given her second yellow card of the game and was therefore ejected. The Golden Eagles had to play the remainder of the game without arguably their best defensive player and the effect was noted. The Buffaloes embarked on a 7-1 run from that point on, making the difference in the game.

“It’s tough to lose (Goslee) to yellow cards, but I do think our defense stepped up and was still able to do a good job without her,” Marquette coach Meredith Black told GoMarquette.com. “It’s a good learning experience for the team to go through something like that.”

Free position shots accounted for six of Colorado’s 13 goals and the Buffaloes went 5-for-5 in the first half on their FPS tries, while Marquette went 2-for-4 on the day.

Marquette also struggled between the pipes. Starting goalie Sarah Priem allowed seven goals in the first half and had no saves. Priem was replaced in the second half by Emma Salter, who made 11 saves and let in six goals.

“I’m proud of Emma,” Black told GoMarquette.com. “She really stepped and made some big saves for us.”

The Golden Eagles’ Nicole Gleason scored her first two goals of the season and Claire Costanza notched a goal to push her season total to three. Marquette also had a strong shot accuracy, with 15 of its 17 shots (.882) being on target.

“We’re looking forward to getting back to work and preparing for our home opener against Northwestern,” Black told GoMarquette.com.

Marquette will host No. 5 Northwestern Saturday at Valley Fields at 1 p.m.