Women’s Lacrosse falls short in double overtime

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

Sunday marked the first NCAA Division 1 women’s lacrosse game ever played in Houston and it certainly did not disappoint. The Marquette women’s lacrosse team forced two overtimes in the season opener, but could not pull off the upset, losing 8-7 to the No. 16 Johns Hopkins Blue Jays.

Things looked bleak for the Golden Eagles as Johns Hopkins took a 7-5 advantage with just 3:14 remaining in overtime, but Marquette refused to give in. Golden Eagle attack Nicole Gleason responded less than a minute later, ripping a shot into the net with 2:24 to go. The Golden Eagles still trailed by one with less than 30 seconds left and looked to the team’s leading point scorer during the past two seasons to make a difference. Attack Claire Costanza fired home the game-tying goal and her second of the game with 18 seconds in the first overtime to force a second, sudden-death period.

Unfortunately for the Golden Eagles, the celebration was short lived. Johns Hopkins scored the game-winner just 18 seconds into the second overtime, despite being a player down due to a yellow card and sent Marquette home empty handed.

“Today was a definitely bittersweet game because I’m proud of how the team played,” Marquette coach Meredith Black told GoMarquette.com. “I’m proud of how Hopkins went ahead by two goals in overtime and we still came back to push it into a second overtime. You can’t ask for anything more than that. We played every second of that game as a team and I am proud of that. I would have loved to see a win at the end, but we are going to learn a lot from this game.”

The overtime comeback was the second rally Marquette made in the game. The Golden Eagles found themselves in a two-goal hole with nine minutes left in the second half. Trailing 5-3, Marquette pulled together and scored two goals in two minutes thanks to midfielder Taylor Smith and attack Emily Donovan and tied the game with a little more than four minutes to go.

Marquette stuck with the favored Blue Jays in every aspect of the game. The Golden Eagles outshot and scooped more ground balls than the Blue Jays in the first half, 13-11 and 9-7. With that being said, there is much to be proud of as this team played well against a top national opponent.

“We have to regroup and get back on track,” Black told GoMarquette.com. “We have to work on the details and get better every single day.”

The Golden Eagles will be back in action Saturday, Feb. 14 against Colorado in Boulder at 1 p.m.