HALFTIME: Marquette trails Seton Hall by 4

Photo by Xidan Zhang/[email protected]

Marquette is in the middle of another back-and-forth Big East battle and trails the reeling Seton Hall Pirates 32-28 at halftime. Matt Carlino has made three shots, all from 3-point range, to lead Marquette with nine points. Steve Taylor Jr. chimed in with one of his better halves of the season with eight points and three rebounds.

Both teams started the game surprisingly well offensively and it was tied at 18 at the 11-minute mark. Eventually, both teams fell back to earth. Seton Hall’s seventh-ranked offense finished the half shooting 44.7 percent from the floor. Marquette shot 40.7 percent from the floor.

The difference came from behind the 3-point line. Seton Hall nailed six of its 12 long-range attempts, despite entering the game shooting just 33.9 percent from deep. Marquette was stifled by the Pirates’ perimeter prowess and shot just 4-of-13 from downtown. All four of Marquette’s makes came from Carlino and redshirt freshman Duane Wilson.

Wilson has gotten off to a slow start after dropping 26 points on Georgetown last Saturday afternoon. He is shooting just 1-of-8 from the field, including 1-of-6 from behind the arc. He had missed his first seven attempts before sinking a triple with just over a minute remaining in the half.

Sophomore center Luke Fischer was held in check once again and only took one shot in the first half. He has two points, two boards and a block. Fischer has played more of a facilitating role in the first half and dished out two assists in the half.

Marquette will need a stronger defensive performance, especially along the perimeter, if it wants to end its three-game skid. Once again, getting the ball in the paint to Fischer will be crucial.