DPS, MPD respond to concern for student at Schroeder Hall

The scene early Thursday morning outside Schroeder Hall. Six DPS vehicles, four MPD vehicles, a fire truck and an ambulance were present at the scene. Photo by Amy Elliot-Meisel amy.elliot-meisel@marquette.edu

The Department of Public Safety and the Milwaukee Police Department responded to an incident early Thursday morning concerning the welfare of a student in Schroeder Hall.

DPS Chief Paul Mascari said the incident involved a student’s well being, but did not specify beyond that.

“Public Safety responded to a concern for welfare of a student early this morning in Schroeder Hall,” Mascari said in an email.

Six DPS vehicles, four MPD vehicles, a fire truck and an ambulance were present at the scene. A student was taken out of the building on a stretcher and then placed into an ambulance. What transpired remains unclear and no further information was released by DPS.

“As a medical incident, we cannot share additional information,” Mascari said in an email.

However, Andy Brodzeller, a university spokesperson, said that “the student is getting the care the student needs.”

MPD Lieutenant Mark Stanmeyer said in an email that MPD also cannot release information because the incident “was medical in nature, and because of the sensitivity of the matter (he has) no further information.”