MPD, DPS arrest subjects in connection to robberies

Photo courtesy of Marquettes website.
Photo courtesy of Marquette’s website.

The Milwaukee Police Department and Department of Public Safety arrested four suspects believed to be associated with multiple robberies in the neighborhood surrounding Marquette Tuesday evening, according to an email from DPS on Wednesday.

DPS trailed two cars going the wrong way on the 800 block of N. 17th St. After contacting MPD, the four suspects were apprehended by MPD and DPS upon exiting the vehicles. MPD will investigate the incident.

“The safety of our students is, and will continue to be, of paramount importance,” DPS Chief Paul Mascari said in the email. “We work side-by-side with the Milwaukee Police Department and have increased our visibility and presence throughout the campus neighborhood since the school year began.”

There have been four off-campus robberies in the past week for a combined estimated loss of $746, according to DPS. One of the reports did not list an estimated loss.

“For their own safety, we can’t emphasize enough how important it is for students to give up their property if approached by suspects,” Mascari said.

“This is a good example of how our partnership is keeping our campus as safe as possible,” Mascari said in the email.

Marquette also partnered with the ride-sharing app Uber over the Halloween weekend to keep students safe. The email said Uber made 1,000 trips over the weekend while over 8,000 transports were made through Student Safety Programs.

In addition, the university is also testing the phone app called BlueLight, which “connects immediately to DPS in case of emergency” and includes a “walk safe” feature that “allows students to share their traveling location with a close contact,” according to the email.

“We know there is always more work to be done, and we remain vigilant in our protection of the campus community,” Mascari said.