Marquette on brink of elimination after 3-3 draw

The men’s soccer team is on the brink of being eliminated from the Big East tournament after a 3-3 draw against Seton Hall.

Marquette solved its scoring woes against Seton Hall, but it was not enough to propel the team to victory. The Golden Eagles played the Pirates to a 3-3 draw in their highest scoring match of the season.

Marquette has now gone winless in its last six matches, dropping to 7-5-4 (1-3-2 Big East). A once exciting season may end Friday with incredible disappointment.

With Butler’s 2-0 victory against Providence Sunday, the Bulldogs jumped a point ahead of Marquette on the Big East table. Marquette, now seventh in the conference, needs to win its final match against DePaul and hope for a Butler loss to make the Big East tournament.

Marquette fell behind only two minutes in, as redshirt senior Victor Manosalvas’ shot redirected off the post and into the net.

The Golden Eagles were not ready to step away from the challenge, scoring just two minutes later. Redshirt junior C. Nortey headed in his sixth goal of the year off of a cross from redshirt junior David Selvaggi.

The teams would not be able to keep up with the scoring pace they displayed in the first five minutes. Seton Hall took the lead back in the 25th minute, when senior Bolu Akinyode notched a second goal off the post for the Pirates.

Once again, the Golden Eagles fought back with an equalizer. Redshirt sophomore defender John Pothast scored his first goal of the year in the 62nd minute off of a Louis Bennett II free kick. Three minutes later, Marquette took its first lead of the night on another Nortey header.

Mateusz Brela scored the final goal in the back-and-forth match in the 75th minute, just minutes after Nortey nearly completed a hat trick with another header.

“Seton Hall’s goals were exceptional,” Bennett told GoMarquette.com. “The lead up to those goals, I think we could have done much better on and that’s the hard part. What I’m proud of is the character of this team and the way they kept their head in a pressure situation.”

Fittingly, the squads had the same amount of shots in extra time, none in the first extra period and two in the second. Neither side was able to capitalize and earn three points, leaving both in desperate need to win their final match.

“We looked a lot more creative in the attacking third,” said Bennett to GoMarquette.com. “We scored three goals and had three more good opportunities, I thought, but lacked the resilience to stop the break.”

With one game to play, there is one spot remaining in the Big East tournament, with Marquette, Butler, Seton Hall, and DePaul all still alive. St. John’s is the only school that is already eliminated.

The Golden Eagles will honor their seniors Friday in the highly anticipated final regular season match of the season. Marquette and DePaul will kick things off at 7 p.m from Valley Fields in a match that has huge stakes for both squads. While that match is going on, Butler will try to eliminate the Golden Eagles with a victory or draw against Xavier in Cincinnati.